• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter Storm Dec 7-10

Enough to keep me interested. Would like to euro to give me a nice run to really keep me into the threat. E14 and I’m good for the winter hah.

We all say we'd be happy but I bet you the next storm that rolls around we all still want more snow. It's like eating a bag of potato chips. In the northern US after seeing snowstorms for months on end it's akin to leaving the bag open for a few months, after a while they go stale, soggy, and just quite frankly get annoying. Here it happens often enough to where we get one or two and it just makes us hungrier and wish we had more. The old saying of "I betcha can't eat just one" rings true in the south when it comes to winter storms

A chance of snow has been added for the Northern Midlands from KCAE. This is going to come down to how close, and how much moisture can be lingering around as the cold air sweeps through. Yeah, there could be a bigger surprise for some, but I'd like to see a lot more members from both the GEFS and EPS showing a bigger event to feel confident about it for my SC friends.

We all say we'd be happy but I bet you the next storm that rolls around we all still want more snow. It's like eating a bag of potato chips. In the northern US after seeing snowstorms for months on end it's akin to leaving the bag open for a few months, after a while they go stale, soggy, and just quite frankly get annoying. Here it happens often enough to where we get one or two and it just makes us hungrier and wish we had more. The old saying of "I betcha can't eat just one" rings true in the south when it comes to winter storms

That is a very true statement:cool:

A chance of snow has been added for the Northern Midlands from KCAE. This is going to come down to how close, and how much moisture can be lingering around as the cold air sweeps through. Yeah, there could be a bigger surprise for some, but I'd like to see a lot more members from both the GEFS and EPS showing a bigger event to feel confident about it for my SC friends.

Yeah the 12z GEFS certainly left a lot to be desired for SC...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since yesterday, FFC added Thursday night, Friday night, and Saturday to a chance of rain/snow showers here. Their confidence in the first good chance of seeing something is increasing it seems.

Here is what most of the offices in the SE believe.
Wx33_midatlantic.png

Here is the UKMET. These series of images, you can see off the coast of SC the formation of a weaker low, and then by the last image see various areas of lower pressure where there is multiple pieces of energy trying to get precipitation involved for areas of SC & especially NC. Any of these could be more of a surprise than what's shown (also, as Stormsfury alluded to):

image.png

image.png

image.png

Man, CMC looked great for me. Please please please!!

Since yesterday, FFC added Thursday night, Friday night, and Saturday to a chance of rain/snow showers here. Their confidence in the first good chance of seeing something is increasing it seems.

Here is what most of the offices in the SE believe.
Wx33_midatlantic.png

Lol it's pretty obvious which NWS office is the stubborn hold out at the moment... *cough* RAH

12z GEFS 24 accumulated precip much drier and southeast at 00z Sat than many prior runs. Not sure the NW trend is going to happen this time.

12z GEFS 24 accumulated precip much drier and southeast at 00z Sat than many prior runs. Not sure the NW trend is going to happen this time.

The GEFS is underdispersive and usually produces solutions that are way too similar to the op, it's also much faster with the storm system in comparison to the UKMET, CMC, and even the progressive NAVGEM... I definitely wouldn't toss out a classical last second NW trend just because the GFS (and to a lesser extent) its ensemble suite are losing the storm in the medium range (as usual)

After last years 1/6/17 storm, don’t put too much stock in the GEFS. Had all members giving me atleast 3 inches of snow. Ended up with a goose egg.

Back