• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter Storm Dec 7-10

This is also how a typical southern winter event seems to play out for many of us. Models never hold onto a solution 7-10 days out, and then they start to sniff something in this timeframe, and before you know it we have a credible threat on our hands. Not saying that happens with this one, but that’s how all of our events play out it seems.

Yeah, if we get snow here it's not something that the models hold onto for a week beforehand. Usually they show a threat in the long range, then it's a lot of back and forth, and then slowly they come around 48 to 24 hours out.

We in that 4-5 day GFS goes out to bar mode... expect 3-4 more similar runs before auto correct takes place

Yeah, GFS is a meh, Oh Canada! on the CMC.
gem_asnow_seus_22.png

The Canadian is much slower w/ the disturbance than the GFS op which may partially explain why it's further north & west... The GFS has been trending slower and slower every run the past few days so it wouldnt surprise me if it came back NW towards what the Euro and CMC currently have

It's interesting to see a potential threat here in south central Georgia this early in the season. In my 20 years of living here, the earliest snow I remember was 1/2/2002. Our better chances, if any, seem to be in the mid-January to mid-February timeframe. Just to see some flakes flying in early December would be a win...any accumulation would be the icing on the cake! Thanks to everyone for the model analysis. Back to watching and reading :)

The Canadian is much slower w/ the disturbance than the GFS op which may partially explain why it's further north & west... The GFS has been trending slower and slower every run the past few days so it wouldnt surprise me if it came back NW towards what the Euro and CMC currently have
I'm willing to bet that the OP is a SE outlier and that the GEFS is more NW

Late Jan 2014 had a similar situation, except there was much more cold air involved. But everything looked suppressed then within 24-48 hours, everything started shifting to the NW.

Same thing happened in Feb 2010 when things were supprssed all the way down to Cuba and models eventually trended NW and then a classic deep south snowstorm happened.

Late Jan 2014 had a similar situation, except there was much more cold air involved. But everything looked suppressed then within 24-48 hours, everything started shifting to the NW.

Fayetteville was in the bullseye of 4-8"+ inches of snow the night before and then we actually got a bunch of sleet instead, sleet was reported for a considerable period of time as far north as RDU where there was no mention of mixed precipitation lol

Fayetteville was in the bullseye of 4-8"+ inches of snow the night before and then we actually got a bunch of sleet instead, sleet was reported for a considerable period of time as far north as RDU where there was no mention of mixed precipitation lol
I remember haha. We only ended up with about 2.5 inches of snow in the Columbia area. The big one came a couple weeks later.

Back