• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter Storm Dec 7-10

Rah NWS excited about our chances.... Not

Pattern recognition strongly suggests that the more robust the moisture influx into the region (the warmer aloft it will get), and conversely the less robust the moisture influx, the cooler it will be. Bottom line, this appears to be a real no win situation for snow lovers with the supply of cold dry air just not there, and the stronger the influx of WAA to generate precipitation this far north means a warmer mid level forecast - if the models get wetter they will get warmer. The best chance of any snow showers may come at the tail end of the system, as the cold air chases the moisture (but this rarely brings measurable snow for us). This would be Friday if it occurs

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Makes since, 6z gfs didnt look to good for GA this run, but the rest of the run looked great. As webb said, 13-21 i believe? Thats the time frame we could score big

FFC’s take on this:
There still remains little run to run consistency with the wintry
precip potential at the end of the week. Amplified upper level
longwave trough over the eastern U.S. will usher some of the
coldest air this early winter season over the southeast. A series
of upper level disturbances look to traverse the region in the
upper level flow, but timing, southern extent, and frequency
continue to vary between models and run to run. The 850 mb
temperatures Friday and Saturday could drop as low at -14C
(according to the latest GFS), and with sub freezing temperatures
at the surface, the thermal profile would support all snow. That
being said, have continued only slight chance pops and no
accumulations for Thursday night/Friday morning and again Friday
Night/Saturday morning. Highs through the end of the week will be
in the 40s, with 30s in the mountains.

IMG_9783.jpg

This is an EPS I'd expect before a 2-4" event in ATL honestly

I really don't think it's going to do much, accumulating snowfall wise in GA from the coastal low. Some places may see a dusting at best, but for most won't see any accumulations. First of all, the heavier precipitation seems like it will stay south and east of GA. However, some of the heaviest precip could make it's way over south GA. That's been consistent. Secondly, the surface temperatures are looking like they will be too warm to support any snowfall accumulations.

For NC, isolated area's could get anywhere from 1-2." But, for the most part there in NC, accumulations would be generally light.

On to that upper level disturbance (clipper), now the mountains of GA could see decent accumulations from that. Maybe a dusting to 1" for the valley's, and up to 2" for the higher elevations.

Will the outside of the mountains see snow in GA? Yes, the chance at seeing snowfall is there, but no significant accumulations.

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using Tapatalk

What about the clipper that comes in on the end of this ? That will be the only chance up this way. What is Euro showing? Don't have access atm.

What about the clipper that comes in on the end of this ? That will be the only chance up this way. What is Euro showing? Don't have access atm.
TN looks good with that clipper system. Euro shows anywhere from a dusting to 2" depending on where you're located. That's using the 10:1 ratio though. Most places in TN are likely to see a dusting to 1" and some area's will see little to no accumulations. Higher elevations of TN could see up to 2."

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using Tapatalk

Yeah I need to go to class in a couple but that's the wrong time period. The time period is Thursday-Friday.

Things to take note of is the PNA ridge strength trends. It's been looking a little stronger each run and in response appears to be diving energy a little more south and west in response.

There's been a trend that the longwave trough has also been looking more positively orientated also with each run as a result.

One thing to also note is just how cold and dense the arctic airmass is and might not reflect well in the 850mb scheme...thought I would mention that since it has been some time since a real shot of arctic air intruded the South.

Back