• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter Discussion 2023/24

I'm surprised you guys didn't reach it in Feb 2015, which was one of coldest February's in a long time
We got screwed by the warm nose in that late February storm and only ended up with 1-2” when 8–12” was forecast

Biggest screw job for Triangle was January 2017. Huge bust.
20170107.gsp.nc.snow.accum.png

Pretty sure this was the one where every single gefs ensemble member had me getting over 8 inches 24 hours out. I think I got 8 snow flakes.
Here in eastern Union County, it was the same with the ensembles. The NAM and HRRR both started picking up on that warm nose about 18-24 hours out. The worst part for me was that the Winter Storm Warning actually did verify for me because I ended up with over a .25” ice accumulation when ZR wasn’t even in the forecast. The 6-8” of snow that was forecast ended up being .5” on top of the ice

I had just moved to Davidson and it was like “wow, so this is how the other half lives”.
Some of the heaviest rates I’ve ever seen were in this one in Jan 2017. It was 2-3 inch hour type rates a bit after midnight to 2 AM. Wind picked up and it started snowing hard with medium size flakes, then the wind died down and chicken feathers started dropping down. It was a sight

I remember the snow starting at 3 in the afternoon and then continuing until dark before the changeover to sleet. The Weather Channel's futurecast expected a changeover to snow again, but it never happened. I got 5 inches in central Alamance, while the northern part of the county got 10... it was painful but not nearly as bad as what some folks experienced.

I ended up with a solid 10 inches of snow out of the January 2017 storm and avoided the warm nose which is rare in this neck of the woods. 8/10 times you always get a warm nose or dry tongue. That was the 2nd best snowstorm around here in the last 10 years only behind Dec 2018 which dumped 11.5 inches but ended up with the warm nose early that morning and everything went over to sleet and freezing rain or would of easily ended of with another couple inches on top of the 11.5

If the Jan 18 storm hadn’t happened the year after, I think I’d be more scarred than I am about that one but WHEW boy that was an ugly ugly night on the boards for the Triangle proper

Back