• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter 22-23 Whamby and Banter Thread Part 2

Interesting as I don't have that alert on my phone from Duke Energy and I'm on their list. Also a DE spokesperson just told WRAL on Thursday they did not expect any taxing on their ability to provide enough power during this cold snap. Of course I'm on Duke Progress Energy so may not be the same

Interesting as I don't have that alert on my phone from Duke Energy and I'm on their list. Also a DE spokesperson just told WRAL on Thursday they did not expect any taxing on their ability to provide enough power during this cold snap. Of course I'm on Duke Progress Energy so may not be the same
There is a large number of power outages now, really borderline bad situation as they are conducting rolling blackouts. Below is from their site

Screenshot_20221224_092400_Chrome.jpg

There is a large number of power outages now, really borderline bad situation as they are conducting rolling blackouts. Below is from their site

View attachment 128475
Why is this stuff happening all of a sudden. We've had arctic blasts for years and have never had rolling blackouts.

Why is this stuff happening all of a sudden. We've had arctic blasts for years and have never had rolling blackouts.
A lot of new development of homes and businesses without the proper upgrades to current infrastructure and development of new infrastructure. Demand on the TVA grid in Tennessee for example was 35% higher than expected, with the combination of cold knocking out a few coal and gas facilities. There needs to be a priority to the maintenance and development of our infrastructure or we are all going to end up like Texas of February 21.

My mom’s power went out at 6:30 this morning and is still off. It isn’t supposed to come back on until 5pm. @Tarheel1 all of Neely Farms is out of power right now.

I told my five year old yesterday that we were going to take our shirts off and run around the house this morning and he never forgot it. So that’s what we did at 8:00 this morning. My nipples still hurt.

Last edited:
A lot of new development of homes and businesses without the proper upgrades to current infrastructure and development of new infrastructure. Demand on the TVA grid in Tennessee for example was 35% higher than expected, with the combination of cold knocking out a few coal and gas facilities. There needs to be a priority to the maintenance and development of our infrastructure or we are all going to end up like Texas of February 21.
Thanks for the explanation. That makes some sense and in some ways it doesn't. Why have we been able to add new development and big growth for years and years and now all of a sudden we can't do it properly anymore?

I assume since we haven’t had this extent of cold in 4 or more years.. the amount of new population we’ve gained probably puts stress on the whole system.

Oops didn’t read the above explanation haha

My mom’s power went out at 6:30 this morning and is still off. It isn’t supposed to come back on until 5pm. @Tarheel1 all of Neely Farms is out of power right now.

I told my five year old yesterday that we were going to take our shirts off and run around the house this morning and he never forgot it. So that’s what we did at 8:00 this morning. My nipples still hurt.
Great!! Those are moments that kids will remember for a lifetime!!

Remember these? I got a scar from this mini surface of the sun death box.
View attachment 128479
I have a similar 100-year-old gas radiant heater cranked up in the basement home theater right now. It never gets turned off in the winter, just adjusted. It helps to warm the entire house!

Thanks for the explanation. That makes some sense and in some ways it doesn't. Why have we been able to add new development and big growth for years and years and now all of a sudden we can't do it properly anymore?
The answer to that question comes down to the delicate conversation around energy policy. I don't have much information on other states but the newest nuclear reactor in Tennessee was built in 2016. A lot has been added to the grids since 2016 and there is a large push away from coal and gas operations. However, no one is willing to approve or spend the money on newer and more efficient energy methods, because of politics and the policies in place. Although incidents like these will encourage lobbyists and voters to get out and approve such measures. Just need to experience these issues for people to see the bigger problem and come up with solutions.

Back