• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter 22-23 Whamby and Banter Thread Part 2

Here is an article from Charlotte magazine with met Brad Panovich explaining why it is harder to get snow outside of the mountains in NC than it used to be because of our current climate.

“The best setup for us for winter weather—we want that southern jet stream there, which is the main storm track, and the cold air, which is the polar jet, would be right there,” he explains. “And this would set up your typical kind of nor’easter Carolina low pressure where it’s wrapping cold air, and it’s all snow inland over the Piedmont. That’s the old I-85 corridor, snow from Atlanta up through the upstate (South Carolina), and it goes all the way up into Virginia. That’s your best setup for big snows here.”

But since the early-to-mid-2000s, he says, melting Arctic ice has “amplified” the jet streams. A warmer Arctic has shrunk the temperature difference between itself and the equator, which makes the west-to-east jet streams meander farther north and south, like slow-moving rivers. That, paradoxically, can allow cold air farther south than normal, as in the devastating Texas ice storm of February 2021. It can also make warm air rise farther north. In December 2021, temperatures in Alaska soared into the upper 60s.

Now, Panovich says, the prime area for snow, where cold and dry meets warm and wet, “is either up here”—he points to the Great Lakes, then the Gulf of Mexico—“or it comes down here. It’s rarely here”—the midway point, i.e., us—“because the jet stream is so amplified. … It’s really when the Arctic sea ice started retreating and wasn’t coming back in the winter.” Nowadays, meteorologists informally refer to “crazy” or even, he says with a chuckle, “kinky” jet streams. The variances are “not these little subtle things. It’s gigantic ridges and huge troughs.”

Here is an article from Charlotte magazine with met Brad Panovich explaining why it is harder to get snow outside of the mountains in NC than it used to be because of our current climate.

“The best setup for us for winter weather—we want that southern jet stream there, which is the main storm track, and the cold air, which is the polar jet, would be right there,” he explains. “And this would set up your typical kind of nor’easter Carolina low pressure where it’s wrapping cold air, and it’s all snow inland over the Piedmont. That’s the old I-85 corridor, snow from Atlanta up through the upstate (South Carolina), and it goes all the way up into Virginia. That’s your best setup for big snows here.”

But since the early-to-mid-2000s, he says, melting Arctic ice has “amplified” the jet streams. A warmer Arctic has shrunk the temperature difference between itself and the equator, which makes the west-to-east jet streams meander farther north and south, like slow-moving rivers. That, paradoxically, can allow cold air farther south than normal, as in the devastating Texas ice storm of February 2021. It can also make warm air rise farther north. In December 2021, temperatures in Alaska soared into the upper 60s.

Now, Panovich says, the prime area for snow, where cold and dry meets warm and wet, “is either up here”—he points to the Great Lakes, then the Gulf of Mexico—“or it comes down here. It’s rarely here”—the midway point, i.e., us—“because the jet stream is so amplified. … It’s really when the Arctic sea ice started retreating and wasn’t coming back in the winter.” Nowadays, meteorologists informally refer to “crazy” or even, he says with a chuckle, “kinky” jet streams. The variances are “not these little subtle things. It’s gigantic ridges and huge troughs.”

Yeap need a flatter jet to keep the SER at bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Clown
Reactions: SER

I guess some people think Brad Panovich and science are clownish.

When people try and rally around some hope...Webber be crushing it...quickly ?

View attachment 131025
I wish the posts bashing Webber for his comments about the upcoming pattern would be left unsent. He's done a very good job at reading the tea leaves and dissecting the pattern evolution. Whether it's what you want to read or not, he backs up everything he posts with solid reasoning and facts.

I would recommend that we pay attention, read and research what he's talking about and engage in far less bashing of the perceived "negative" or "positive" nature of the possible outcomes. Wishcasting is leading to bitchcasting in here.

His voice is a huge addition to the forum and shouldn't be driven out because it doesn't bring snow with it.

Man I really need to get a house on Beach Mountain. I would never complain about snow again.

I wish the posts bashing Webber for his comments about the upcoming pattern would be left unsent. He's done a very good job at reading the tea leaves and dissecting the pattern evolution. Whether it's what you want to read or not, he backs up everything he posts with solid reasoning and facts.

I would recommend that we pay attention, read and research what he's talking about and engage in far less bashing of the perceived "negative" or "positive" nature of the possible outcomes. Wishcasting is leading to bitchcasting in here.

His voice is a huge addition to the forum and shouldn't be driven out because it doesn't bring snow with it.
Relax…it’s just weather. If you don’t like what I post just block me, it’s very easy.

Back