• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter 22-23 Whamby and Banter Thread Part 2

didnt want to clutter jan thread but think gatlinbufg itself "not a cabin with elevation "gonna be worth going to??

12 years ago..my all time favorite snowstorm View attachment 129882View attachment 129883
Back when I had cable (and access to The Weather Channel) I used to record the Local on the 8s during major weather events that happened here. This was one of those weather events I archived a lot of clips of hours before, during, and right after. Ironically, TWC was the most accurate on snowfall totals in my area. At one point the morning of this event they were forecasting 5-9 inches. I got 6.5 inches (with a glaze of ice on top). NWS and most of the local mets were calling for 2-4 inches. I think the southside where the airport is only got about 3-4 inches, but they got screwed by that warm nose from the changeover to sleet/freezing rain. This winterstorm is a perfect example of why I'm glad I live inside the perimeter NORTH of I-20.?

didnt want to clutter jan thread but think gatlinbufg itself "not a cabin with elevation "gonna be worth going to??
It’s possible but I’ve always been disappointed. They’ll shut down the park roads but you can always take the tram to Ober.

The jet in the E Pac is going to collapse over the next 5-6 days. Meanwhile, there will be a new jet extension in the W Pac that kicks out off E Asia beginning on day 3 (Jan 14).

As we go out in time into the last 10 days of Jan, there are going to be competing forces that will likely play a role in determining how much this next jet extension pushes east.

The MJO tropical forcing is likely to become active in the Indian Ocean (Phase 2-3) which is a setup that favors limited jet extension, leading to a -PNA pattern.

In contrast, the developing height anomaly pattern over Asia of ridge in west & central Asia and trough in E Asia is one that will favor surface high pressure systems dropping down into E Asia, which typically leads to momentum being added into the Pac Jet as low pressure systems exit E Asia and head toward the Aleutian Islands, leading to a -EPO and/or +PNA pattern.

I'd say I'm 50/50 on it at the moment in terms of how this will lean for the last week of Jan into the beginning of Feb.

1CK4yvN.png

Indian Ocean forcing. I cringe everytime I hear that. ?

Just trying to learn a bit more but based off of the latest models wouldnt we want the peak of the ridge on the west coast to be more towards CONUS?

Back when I had cable (and access to The Weather Channel) I used to record the Local on the 8s during major weather events that happened here. This was one of those weather events I archived a lot of clips of hours before, during, and right after. Ironically, TWC was the most accurate on snowfall totals in my area. At one point the morning of this event they were forecasting 5-9 inches. I got 6.5 inches (with a glaze of ice on top). NWS and most of the local mets were calling for 2-4 inches. I think the southside where the airport is only got about 3-4 inches, but they got screwed by that warm nose from the changeover to sleet/freezing rain. This winterstorm is a perfect example of why I'm glad I live inside the perimeter NORTH of I-20.?

I used to do the same thing. Man those were the days.

Just trying to learn a bit more but based off of the latest models wouldnt we want the peak of the ridge on the west coast to be more towards CONUS?
A good benchmark for us for cold is for the ridge axis to run right up the W Canada / British Columbia coast…but it also depends on ridge tilt / ridge orientation

Rooting for you guys re: snow. Solid cold snap down here with TWC already going for a high of 61F and a low of 42F for Miami Saturday. 30’s maybe?

Bruh Bassfield has seen so many tornado warnings the last couple of months I’ve lost count

Back