• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter 22-23 Whamby and Banter Thread Part 2

People going all-in on one set of model runs thinking that's where the snow (if the system verifies) will be exactly... Happens every year. If you're within 1000 miles of the low as it is right now it's possible. The wave either flattens out, slows down, speeds up, tilts too fast and cuts in the end, any of those. For mid Jan assuming winter is just over is not even rational.
I'm assuming winter weather (frozen or freezing) chances have dropped to near zero for my area and it's completely rational to assume no winter weather here. Forsyth County and north GA have a little better chance. Winter/Autumn cool-ish temps are not over. A freeze is still possible until April 15. I'll be ready to plant my summer veggies at that point.

Do I still hope it snows at my house? Yep! That's the irrational part!

It's been kind of crazy to see years without much and then years where we score. Every 3 years for example 2011, 2014, 2017, 2020 so will 2023 be next? Guess we will see.
We've gone 10 years without measurable snow in Atlanta before (1996 to 2005). I consider the 2010's and 2020's to be very good snow years for Atlanta. It's just not realistic to expect snow every year. We can expect to SEE snow fall every year, though. Most years we record at least a trace. That 10 year period was very unusual. We have a decent chance to catch sight of some flurries before 2023 ends.

2014 was the best snow in decades on the south side. Probably since 1992.
That's a tough place to get snow. Just like the Carolina's Atlanta doesn't do well with clippers or anafrontal. And most of the time the CAD that saves the Carolina's a lot doesn't reach Atlanta. Atlanta to Augusta to CAE is brutally painful for snowlovers.

We've gone 10 years without measurable snow in Atlanta before (1996 to 2005). I consider the 2010's and 2020's to be very good snow years for Atlanta. It's just not realistic to expect snow every year. We can expect to SEE snow fall every year, though. Most years we record at least a trace. That 10 year period was very unusual. We have a decent chance to catch sight of some flurries before 2023 ends.
I know for a fact Atlanta had some snow in January 2002.

I know we are only a couple weeks past the winter solstice, but it seems like the sun angle is higher than it usually is this time of year.
Today is the day the earth is closest to the sun, the whole year, ironically!

Back