• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter 22-23 Whamby and Banter Thread Part 2

Agree 100%. We need it sustained long enough for a "cycle" so to speak of shortwave roll. Our luck though this cold will occur between events
Of course it will. We need more than 36-48 hr windows. I'd love a 7-10 day window that we used to take for granted and call bad before this. Terrible doesn't begin to describe this winter. I'd bet a lot of the snowless winters in the past probably had ice events. Weather memories can be bad but it seems like we had plenty of ice storms during the 90s when snow was lacking. I remember because by dad was a lineman. We don't even get those anymore, at least here in the upstate.

Of course it will. We need more than 36-48 hr windows. I'd love a 7-10 day window that we used to take for granted and call bad before this. Terrible doesn't begin to describe this winter. I'd bet a lot of the snowless winters in the past probably had ice events. Weather memories can be bad but it seems like we had plenty of ice storms during the 90s when snow was lacking. I remember because by dad was a lineman. We don't even get those anymore, at least here in the upstate.

Don't get them here either anymore. The warming climate has turned them into a chilly rain instead of tree toppers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We got 2“ of IP in GSO. FML. :mad:
Yeah that sucks. I think for these mega East Coast storms you need to have some latitude. With most of these huge storms during my lifetime the line of very heavy snow usually lines up from about Rockingham County/Harrisonburg to Culpeper County northward.

1675050950391.png
Can’t believe I’m getting hyped up for this

Reactions: WSW
Rainy and chilly here in CLT. Sorry folks but get used to this. Heading to Nashville in two weeks and I’m putting all my snow eggs in that basket.

I haven't seen more than 1/10th of an inch of ice accretion in my backyard since 2005. Feel like before that we got a solid ice event nearly ever year. Feb 16,2015 was close but we got mostly sleet from that storm and just close to 1/10th inch of accretion.

It’s going to be a struggle to even see a WWA from this weekend. I just don’t see it
Lol half gefs ens has something, more then half cmc ens has something, GFS has something, end euro looked better this morning, only reason it sucks is because the wave itself, I don’t think its that bleak

Lol half gefs ens has something, more then half cmc ens has something, GFS has something, end euro looked better this morning, only reason it sucks is because the wave itself, I don’t think its that bleak
and the air mass is anomalously cold but the high is retreating. I just cant see it being a super big deal though.

It’s going to be a struggle to even see a WWA from this weekend. I just don’t see it
Yeah, right now this is all we got going:

<From RAH>

The cold high building from the Midwest towards the Mid-Atlantic
will help generate clear skies and cold air advection for the end of
the week, with highs around 15 degrees below normal by Saturday. The
coldest morning this week will likely be Saturday as lows plummet
into the upper teens to mid-20s. Breezy northerly winds will make
some areas feel like the upper 20s to mid-30s Saturday afternoon.
Thickness begin to increase Sunday as the cold high quickly retreats
northeast away from the region. An upper trough may then swing east
across the Mid-Atlantic Sunday, and help generate the next round of
rain across the area. In addition to the possibility of isentropic
lift Sunday morning, this could begin areas of drizzle fairly early
in the morning. If this is early enough where Sunday morning
temperatures are still below freezing, this could generate the
possibility of some freezing rain before temperatures rise above

freezing. Confidence in this scenario is low, therefore no mention
of freezing rain is in the forecast just yet. The CAD will create
another large spread in highs Sunday as temperatures could vary from
the mid-40s in the Triad to the mid-50s across the southern Coastal
Plain.

Snow is hard enough as it is, wintry in general. Give me ice storm, call me a weenie give me clowns give me whatever.

I'll take whatever I can get as well. Sleetfest works great, looks white, sleds great, get out of work. Freezing rain is the most meh, and hardly ever a real issue but I take a glaze on the trees I guess. Fzr makes me eye roll and laugh whenever I see those crazy Fram maps.

Back