• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter 22-23 Whamby and Banter Thread Part 2

Take care of your pets in this weather people. Even your fur-challenged babies.
Fkw5P5eWQAgEAuG

Look into the cancer cluster around Lake Norman. There’s several duke plants in that region and people have been coming up with an extremely rare cancer in multiples.

Yeah, not touching the political aspect of the Duke issue, but agree on the cancer issue. Huntersville has a very rare ocular melanoma cluster, and Mooresville has a Thyroid cancer cluster, very high ratio amounts of cancers around the lake compared to the general population. What's not as known is Duke used to sell coal ash as land development fill to mix with the soil in north meck developments. Mooresville has the most registered coal ash as fill in the state. No certified rationale for the clusters are known, but to me the coal ash buried in neighborhoods, and leaching into the lake, into the water supply has to be the likely issue, imo.That just can't be a coincidence.

Disregard the outdoor temps as it’s measuring from a sensor on the outdoor unit, a Trane gas pack we had installed about 5 years ago with all new ductwork in the house. It’s a duel fuel, heat pump and natural gas furnace with 2 levels of heat pump and 3 levels of gas furnace. I set it up so the heat pump never comes on, straight to 1st stage of the furnace which is about 60K btu, stage 2 is 80k and stage 3 is 100K. I also did a custom fan delay on when the furnace kicks on and something similar but opposite for AC which also has a couple different stages. Crawlspace was also encapsulated, sealed and conditioned.

Barely hit stage 2 of the furnace today, and just turned the indoor temp down to 70 from 74 where we have been most of the day. It’s pretty impressive and one of the best purchases we have done for the house.

B40EA5DB-730A-4C0C-B36E-8C52D6F96425.jpeg?

Went to check on my Grandparents house over at the farm and it looks like the igniter has gone bad in the heat unit. It’s 40 degrees in their house. Luckily they are already dead or last night would have surely done the trick. Got the old space heater going so it should be up to 90 degrees in no time.

Duke Energy let everyone down today. Yes it could have been worse.

Sad to see NC become the new Texas Ercot.

Pandering to liberal whining climate huggers has got to stop.

Fire up the coal plants, build more nuclear reactors and drill drill drill.

AGREE 100%,, Just had a "power outage" that lasted 10+ hours..!!! Woke up too FROST INSIDE My house.. This Morning!

Thank you Lord, for My fireplace..

Current obs..

32F Wind chill of 23

Pressure 30.12 in
Visibility 10 miles
Clouds Clear
Dew Point 6 F
Humidity 35 %

Went to check on my Grandparents house over at the farm and it looks like the igniter has gone bad in the heat unit. It’s 40 degrees in their house. Luckily they are already dead or last night would have surely done the trick. Got the old space heater going so it should be up to 90 degrees in no time.
RIP?

Take care of your pets in this weather people. Even your fur-challenged babies.
Fkw5P5eWQAgEAuG
True, although not necessarily true in all cases. Some animals are “designed” (for lack of a better word) for the cold, like Siberian Huskies, etc. But yeah when the temperature is this cold I do agree. It’s just I see stuff like people putting sweaters on their extremely furry dogs when it’s like 50 out because the person is cold, and it probably makes that dog burn up. ?

Well, it looks like it's not just rapid growth in NC that's the culprit of the forced rolling blackouts, since they're happening all across the eastern seaboard.

Last edited:
Well, it looks like it's not just rapid growth in NC that's the culprit of the forced rolling blackouts, since they're happening all across the eastern seaboard.

I honestly doubt output is the culprit and given this a good bit of thought today. My money is on last mile, think about the transformers close to you and backhaul to substations, wire gauge, etc.

Lol. Where are you at? Hiding in your Hello Kitty pajamas underneath some blankets fire roaring! I may want it warm but you best believe not a single one of you weenies would even dare to brace the cold like me. “ oh we want it cold “ gets cold “ oh man it’s so cold Imma sit inside”. Imma go for a swim tomorrow you better believe it . Want to beat my previous coldest record of upper 20s. Gon be 70 by next weekend enjoy!

How bout them dookies playing wake forest other night ?
Lol. Where are you at? Hiding in your Hello Kitty pajamas underneath some blankets fire roaring! I may want it warm but you best believe not a single one of you weenies would even dare to brace the cold like me. “ oh we want it cold “ gets cold “ oh man it’s so cold Imma sit inside”. Imma go for a swim tomorrow you better believe it . Want to beat my previous coldest record of upper 20s. Gon be 70 by next weekend enjoy!

Good stuff right there. Just checking to see if your still kicking after last night. Did you make it. Come on now. I can say the same thing about you warm weenie's in the summer time when it's 90 plus outside and your all in the house in the ac when your wanting the heat. No 70 for me next weekend. In all honesty I was out most all day yesterday and today taking firewood to people who were in need. As for Duke. We got our butts kicked against wake and will probably happen several more times this season with all these freshman. Y'all will probably beat us by 30 both times this year unless this team starts to come together. Enjoy the warm up.

Back