• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2021-2022 predictions

Anything as long as it isn’t super extreme cold will be better than last winter . I mean anything , nothing kills the soul more than non stop 48-52 and rain . I definitely get the feeling it will be a variable winter , probably not cold but it won’t be boring or disappoint all of us , probably most of us , not all of us though.
Yeah I don’t think we’ll see anything like late Dec 17 and early January ‘18, but I would be suprised if we didn’t see some stretches with highs in the 30s and lows in the 15-20 for both our areas, but like I said I think that we’ll see plenty 65-70 degree afternoons as well. Another thing to watch is just how much of a player the MJO is… I can’t imagine that it would stay as low amped as it did most of last winter.

I just hope we can get a board-wide storm that actually delivers for areas east of the Apps. Last February was so painful. Texas, Arkansas and Oklahoma set snowfall records, so why can't we? Perhaps someday it'll be our turn for a historic storm...RDU hasn't had 10" or more in a winter in 17 years. I guess it could be worse though, we've managed to sneak by with marginal events every year for a while.

La Nina winters around here, historically, tend to be front-loaded, with the best chances of snowfall earlier in winter. Since it appears as if we are headed towards La Nina, I'd expect February in particular to be a lot warmer than last year, and probably more warm days during winter than last year too. Last February was cooler than normal in the SE (rare for a La Nina), and areas of the Apps had little to nothing in the way of snow to show for it.

What’s the happiest thing that ever happened in your life ? I swear you are the grinch himself . No rain no snow no this no that. Muh summer of 93 drought muh 110 degrees muh muh muh dried up grass.
Why are you quoting @SD??

• Sad
Reactions: SD
Those are done for good. Storms like Jan 1988 and Jan 2000 are gone for good south of the Ohio river. Our winters will be more like last year and the year before that. You will have to be above 5000 ft in the southeast to get more than 2-3 inches of snow from any 1 system.
After what we witnessed in Texas last winter, your statement is simply not accurate. You are obsessed with this GW mentality and it's getting old.

Wonder if the extreme warmth in Greenland and Siberia will impact our winter in the SE. Our turn to be cold? Love to hear mets theorize things like that.

Those are done for good. Storms like Jan 1988 and Jan 2000 are gone for good south of the Ohio river. Our winters will be more like last year and the year before that. You will have to be above 5000 ft in the southeast to get more than 2-3 inches of snow from any 1 system.
Time will tell. There are a lot of scientist, politicians, and mets that share those sentiments, so we shall see. Hope not!!!

Time will tell. There are a lot of scientist, politicians, and mets that share those sentiments, so we shall see. Hope not!!!

If it was just about GW,then wouldn't Houston,Dallas,Shreveport, Jackson,etc be left without a winter storm last year like us? I kind of agree that us in the eastrn SE might be done for quite sometime,but our issues when it comes to winter weather is not just from GW.i Our main issues why we can't a winter storm or arctic air really comes down the SE Ridge playing a big role and the Pacific being crap every year.I think the western SE(espically AL,western GA,TN and eastern half of MS ) might actually do better or even much better this coming winter than the last one,espically if the ENSO is netrual or if there's a very weak LA Nina(remember western GA,AL,and far eastern MS were mostly left out of the Feb storm from this year,outside of a small amout of snow in some areas).

Last edited:
Or Feb of 1979,1980 or Jan 2000.Personally,A March 1993 sort of setup wouldn't be good for my area(unless the storm is atleast a 100 miles S/E) of where that storm was.
Try living in Nashville.... In 2015 and last year, we had a would-be 10 inch snow fall as ice/sleet.

No sir the storms still exist. You're just gonna waste 3/4 of the precip on rain and Sleet ???

Those kinds of proclamations are absurd. If it was technically impossible for it not to get cold here anymore, then ok. But that's not the case. And so to say we'll never see an anomalous storm or period again is just a silly, attention-seeking comment.

AN temps, 1 big dog gives AN snow for a decent % of the board.
Feeling optimistic this morning! ??
I’m thinking I see 100% of normal, which is 35-40”, I believe.

Random snowfall total predictions - based on nothing but gut feeling:
Dallas: T
New Orleans: T
Birmingham: 2.0"
Atlanta: 0.8"
Greenville SC: 1.4"
Columbia: 0.2"
Nashville: 2.5"
Raleigh: 3.2"
Greensboro: 8.0"
Charlotte: 2.4"

Those kinds of proclamations are absurd. If it was technically impossible for it not to get cold here anymore, then ok. But that's not the case. And so to say we'll never see an anomalous storm or period again is just a silly, attention-seeking comment.
Rain Cold, I was just saying the dudes comments are reflected by these people. I dont personally feel that way. It was a response to JHS's post.

Back