• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2021-2022 predictions

Am I the only one who likes cold weather? I'd take a cold winter over a torch any day of the week.
No you’re not, but I’m someone who enjoys each season. I dislike a 75 degree day in July every bit as much as I dislike it January. I love the heat when it’s summer and the cold when it’s winter.

What is Maxer saying? They are the true Mets with a 100% accuracy rate.

Released Wednesday, August 25, 2021:

“La Niña Influenced Pattern
Cold Signal In Northwest; Warm Leaning South GWHDDs Between 10- and 30-Year Normal
December - February
The initial Maxar forecast calls for a La Niña influenced pattern this win- ter, with below normal temperatures in the Northwest and above normal readings in the South. The East Coast is near normal overall but carries slightly above normal temperatures in February. Historically, La Niña in winter is associated with a pattern of –PNA characteristics, with a cold trough over the Northwest and a warm ridge over the South. As is typical of a La Niña-influenced pattern, convective enhancement should focus nearby Indonesia in the west-tropical Pacific, where sea surface tempera- tures were measured as record warm in July and preceded by records from January-April. Further enhancement of the convective forcing should result from the region. The Atlantic basin remains in its long term warm phase (i.e. +AMO), which is a general warm signal also contrib- uting to the forecast.”

Surprisingly, they have the SE only about +1 F for DJF averaged.

Am I the only one who likes cold weather? I'd take a cold winter over a torch any day of the week.
No I like cold weather in winter. Lows in the mid to upper 20s and highs in the 40s are fine. Those are typically the kind of airmasses that bring snow. Now when you're talking about single digit and teen lows then I don't care for it much. 99% of the time when it's that cold it's not going to snow down here so it's just useless and uncomfortable. While I prefer snow I'm not one of those that say bring on the torch if it isn't going to snow. I despise 70 degrees in winter. But if its not going to snow I'd prefer it be in the 50s for highs like average.

From December to probably January 15/20 we will more than likely be below average to average with at least 1 artic outbreak. That is usually a given with La Ninas and we are seeing more blocking showing up in the Atlantic so that will always help. Need the pacific to finally be just a step above ass and we probably score at least 1 winter storm. Now after probably January 15th, everyone west of the apps is likely going to torch unless we keep blocking in the Atlantic then you will see more average days. East of the Apps go ahead and prepare yourself for a ton of CAD.

Released Wednesday, August 25, 2021:

“La Niña Influenced Pattern
Cold Signal In Northwest; Warm Leaning South GWHDDs Between 10- and 30-Year Normal
December - February
The initial Maxar forecast calls for a La Niña influenced pattern this win- ter, with below normal temperatures in the Northwest and above normal readings in the South. The East Coast is near normal overall but carries slightly above normal temperatures in February. Historically, La Niña in winter is associated with a pattern of –PNA characteristics, with a cold trough over the Northwest and a warm ridge over the South. As is typical of a La Niña-influenced pattern, convective enhancement should focus nearby Indonesia in the west-tropical Pacific, where sea surface tempera- tures were measured as record warm in July and preceded by records from January-April. Further enhancement of the convective forcing should result from the region. The Atlantic basin remains in its long term warm phase (i.e. +AMO), which is a general warm signal also contrib- uting to the forecast.”

Surprisingly, they have the SE only about +1 F for DJF averaged.

I actually could buy that result of 1F above average and just watching model evolution that would be my guess. I see that ridging on the models in Siberia in the longer range.

My guess is we end up with longer periods of +2-4F anomalies over the SE when the Pacific jet goes bonkers, but when it relaxes we end up with a monster +PNA that bridges with the ridging in Siberia and brings blistering cold. The duration of those Cold snaps will determine if we end up slightly below or near average or +1-2F.

There is my guess pulled straight out of my backside.

Outside of snow days for me the first day of a true arctic airmass, the warm muggy day ahead of a strong front, and the first cloudy/drizzly wedge day can't be beat in winter. They are all different from the norm and have a weird charm.
Warm muggy day pushing 80s ahead of a front mid winter is the absolute ---- ! Nothing like seeing 84/68 on the coast December 21. Second to that is a rainy 40 degree day .

I love quick temperature drops like last year on Christmas Eve… 67 down 31 in a matter of just a few hours
I enjoy those warm muggy days a ton. They have a distinct smell to them, a distinct feeling in the air. It's not the same as a muggy day in the spring or summer. December 2015 was amazing for that.

Yall may not like this but the day that all the snow melts is also amazing. Melting snow holds the temps down normally so what would have been a day in the 50s ends up being a windless crisp 40 or something which tends to feel amazing in shorts. The feeling of the air is so clean and everything looks a bit greener and cleaner after the snow melts. It's like the world was washed and born again.

This is gonna sound weenie-ish of me but us in the Eastern SE weren't too far away from having that mega cold shot the Western folks had, if places more climatologically unfavorable than us get that, we can too.

Anything is possible, just gotta see what the future holds.
Texas maybe, but Oklahoma, Northern Arkansas, and West Tennessee would not be considered “climatologically unfavorable” than Charlotte, North Carolina.

Texas maybe, but Oklahoma, Northern Arkansas, and West Tennessee would not be considered “climatologically unfavorable” than Charlotte, North Carolina.
Nah even Texas is more climatological favorable . The panhandle is getting freezes now . Texas is extreme , everywhere west of the mountains will see far larger swings than us. Yes it’s warmer because it’s further south but it sees much larger deviations from average . Speaking for deviations , obviously you go far enough south it gets warm enough that despite the massive variation it’s less favorable .

Last edited:
I was talking about South Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, ect. when I said unfavorable lol.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Back