• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2021-2022 predictions

Nah even Texas is more climatological favorable . The panhandle is getting freezes now . Texas is extreme , everywhere west of the mountains will see far larger swings than us. Yes it’s warmer because it’s further south but it sees much larger deviations from average . Speaking for deviations , obviously you go far enough south it gets warm enough that despite the massive variation it’s less favorable .

Yep.

While Texas is warmer on average overall, it is prone to more extreme temperature swings because of the Chinook Winds.

That said, an event like 2021 is still quite rare. The temperature swings, while they can be extreme when they occur, are generally a lot more transient than what you guys see further east.

Yep.

While Texas is warmer on average overall, it is prone to more extreme temperature swings because of the Chinook Winds.

That said, an event like 2021 is still quite rare. The temperature swings, while they can be extreme when they occur, are generally a lot more transient than what you guys see further east.
Not sure what the best way to measure that is but I’m not sure it’s true that it’s more transient where you are. At least based on your hours below freezing , yours last February were considerably higher than even Raleighs record .

Not sure what the best way to measure that is but I’m not sure it’s true that it’s more transient where you are. At least based on your hours below freezing , yours last February were considerably higher than even Raleighs record .

February 2021 was a extremely rare event (talking once in 100-year) and not representative of how transient temperature swings typically are in Texas.

February 2021 was a extremely rare event (talking once in 100-year) and not representative of how transient temperature swings typically are in Texas.
Except your second place record and third are still higher than our first and I am considerably further north and colder on average . Though I still sorta agree , I just don’t know how to measure this .

If that were a cold forecast the following things would be said:
He's never right
He's a weenie
Look at x year
But the lead time
The cfs sucks
X will go wrong

Keep that in mind as you navigate this thread today
You forgot "Oh crap I have to put the top back on my Jeep Wrangler"

Yeah February was on par with freaking 1899 it went way past the historic cold snaps of the 80s people in a lot of ways used to talk about(I still think 1983 is king for duration because Dallas had one day before the snow that it went above freezing for an hour) but still

I still sometimes find it hard to believe DFW actually went below zero with all the concrete ? that wasn't there in 1899(heck it passed 1989 and became the coldest temperature in Dallas since before the airport even existed)

Back