• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2021-2022 predictions

It definitely helps climowise to not be in the SE, home of the SER, during La Nina. The outlook is clearly better for your area vs the SE US again this winter vs normals. Mack should also do much better vs his norms. And if Dan is in the Midwest, he may do ok.

Edit: Ooops, I left off that Montana guy. He should be in great shape! And the AR golfing guy may do ok as he may be far enough NW.

"Better", "great" equals cold and/or wintry precip just to be clear as they mean different things for different people.
Last year was a Nina, right?
I did great with almost 200% of normal snowfall, but started last year about on todays date, with a trace! I’m hoping the later start to cold weather , will allow it to hit like a ton of bricks and have a little more staying power! I get excited about cutters now and clippers!

Well he hasn’t been great the last few years as well. Winter is such a crap shoot.

Exactly. I’m going into winter with no expectations. In 2013 all I remember hearing is how the winter will torch and we had the coldest temps I’ve ever seen by a lot. I think 2017-2018 was supposed to be a torch fest and I had the most snow since ‘93. Im not even gonna touch all the years that were supposed to be great, yet ended up torching.

Just gonna enjoy the ride as always.

Not great when HM isn’t positive lol

What he's leaving off is this:

1) SSW was LATE in Dec of 2001, centered around 12/23: focus on the gray on the far right. You're not going to get cooling down here from a SSW until after it happens:

time_pres_TEMP_ANOM_ALL_NH_2001.gif

2) For 12/1-23, before the SSW, KATL was quite mild with +6.

3) For the half month after the SSW (12/24-1/8), KATL was a whopping -9 along with 4.6" of snow.

So, there was quite a cold effect that could be attributed to the SSW after all. You just have to dig for the details.

KATL data from here: https://www.weather.gov/wrh/climate?wfo=ffc

Well he hasn’t been great the last few years as well. Winter is such a crap shoot.
At the end of the day we in the SE have to depend on crazy weather to give us the winter we want we have no good connection to cold other than CAD and that only benefits some of us .. we need dynamic systems or great patterns or outstanding blocking .. these can create events to remember but at the end of the day we don’t have those often but you can always bank on at least a stretch that has a solid chance for us to get what we want so that’s what I always try to look for every winter..

Yep, exactly, I would take a 2018-2019 repeat just because there’s was one week of a blockbuster pattern in early December then above normal mostly the rest of winter
No thank you. Middle TN got to enjoy relentless flooding rains that winter. A warm and dry winter with about 2 weeks of cold with one board wide event works for me, however.

Back