• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2021-2022 predictions

So many winter forecasts I see online say cold and snowy winter for us ?? I wonder what compels these people to continue to call for a cold snowy winter every year when it continues to never be lmao
Just like people on here come on every day, thinking Birdman might have made a quality post! Hope springs eternal for snow weenies, until April! ?☃️?

So many winter forecasts I see online say cold and snowy winter for us ?? I wonder what compels these people to continue to call for a cold snowy winter every year when it continues to never be lmao
These must be from the typical 13 and under crowd with YouTube channels.

These must be from the typical 13 and under crowd with YouTube channels.
Exactly. I doubt you'll find a pro other than JB hype cold and snow in the SE this year. Snow is always a wildcard, but too much working against us to realistically think we'll have a cold winter. Some analogs above offer some hope I suppose, but a disaster like 11-12 has a high probability also.

Exactly. I doubt you'll find a pro other than JB hype cold and snow in the SE this year. Snow is always a wildcard, but too much working against us to realistically think we'll have a cold winter. Some analogs above offer some hope I suppose, but a disaster like 11-12 has a high probability also.

“Disaster” sounds overly dramatic to describe a mild winter, which is likely to occur and won’t hurt anyone. If anything, it would help the homeless as well as help those already struggling financially from the potential of very high heating costs. Energy prices are already way up vs recent years, largely due to shortages in Europe and Asia. The last thing the US as a whole needs now is a widespread cold winter in the E US to cause them to skyrocket further. If we’re talking “disaster”, a cold winter there would be closer to causing that from an economic standpoint. Embrace the “warmth” like an increasing number here already do. Even with a mild winter, temperatures will still be cooling off 20-25+ degrees from where they are now and there will be a few cold snaps.

All indications I’ve studied, including today, strongly suggest a mild winter for the SE US. Even though it isn’t what I prefer, I will happily embrace the mild instead of fighting the nearly inevitable and whining about it. Enjoy the weather as it is the only weather you’ve got.

“Disaster” sounds overly dramatic to describe a mild winter, which is likely to occur and won’t hurt anyone. If anything, it would help the homeless as well as help those already struggling financially from the potential of very high heating costs. Energy prices are already way up vs recent years, largely due to shortages in Europe and Asia. The last thing the US as a whole needs now is a widespread cold winter in the E US to cause them to skyrocket further. If we’re talking “disaster”, a cold winter there would be closer to causing that from an economic standpoint. Embrace the “warmth” like an increasing number here already do. Even with a mild winter, temperatures will still be cooling off 20-25+ degrees from where they are now and there will be a few cold snaps.

All indications I’ve studied, including today, strongly suggest a mild winter for the SE US. Even though it isn’t what I prefer, I will happily embrace the mild instead of fighting the nearly inevitable and whining about it. Enjoy the weather as it is the only weather you’ve got.
Come on man! I would never wish financial or physical hardship on anyone! By saying a disaster like 11-12 I meant from a winter weather standpoint. My area and most likely all areas east of the mountains are in a bad snow drought. I've had 20% of my already low snowfall average over the last 2 years. Another year like 11-12 right now where not even a single sleet pellet falls is a disaster from a snowlovers perspective.

I know it'll likely be warm. For some reason that's the way it is in the SE anymore. I have my opinions why but there's another thread for that. I've accepted winters of my childhood are long gone. I come on here every winter and get hammered by cold lovers because I always go warm. But it's not unreasonable to wish for average snowfall, or even above average snowfall even in a mild winter.

agree, a mild winter isnt a bad thing.

I'm a little concerned about our la nina. Recent trends have really strengthened it into winter. If we end up with a strong Nina I wont be surprised to see the Southeast struggle with warmth and storm track. We need a muted Nina that doesn't dominate but unfortunately there is a lot of data that is suggesting we may end up with a very strong ENSO this winter.

sst.gif

Writing off winter on October 10th.....that always works out. ?. It's like saying this summer doesn't look too hot in April.

Nobody is “writing off” winter. Acknowledging the likelihood of a warmer than normal SE winter and writing off winter are not the same thing. Even I have repeatedly said to still expect a few cold periods even if the winter is mild as they’re almost guaranteed every year. Also, I didn’t say that a mild winter was a certainty. Nobody could ever say that. In addition, a good number here have stated they only really care about getting snow. For that reason, these same folks have many times said dry cold is “wasted cold” and that they’d rather it be mild than dry cold. Go back and look at the past winter threads. The fact is that much of the cold in most of the nonmountainous SE comes with no snow….even up in a place like Raleigh.

Do you and others here enjoy dry cold? I know some do (I actually do but then again cold down here is fairly infrequent), but there have been a lot of complaints here in recent years about dry cold and that they’d rather it be mild if there’s no snow. For those people, the best bet would be a mild winter with a couple of snows thrown in between the mainly mild periods. With the threat of very high heating costs this winter due to much higher prices already and shortages overseas, that would be the best of both worlds this winter. Snow lovers get their snow and dry cold haters would be more content along with not too high energy bills.

Nobody is “writing off” winter. Acknowledging the likelihood of a warmer than normal SE winter and writing off winter are not the same thing. Even I have repeatedly said to still expect a few cold periods even if the winter is mild as they’re almost guaranteed every year. Also, I didn’t say that a mild winter was a certainty. Nobody could ever say that. In addition, a good number here have stated they only really care about getting snow. For that reason, these same folks have many times said dry cold is “wasted cold” and that they’d rather it be mild than dry cold. Go back and look at the past winter threads. The fact is that much of the cold in most of the nonmountainous SE comes with no snow….even up in a place like Raleigh.

Do you and others here enjoy dry cold? I know some do (I actually do but then again cold down here is fairly infrequent), but there have been a lot of complaints here in recent years about dry cold and that they’d rather it be mild if there’s no snow. For those people, the best bet would be a mild winter with a couple of snows thrown in between the mainly mild periods. With the threat of very high heating costs this winter due to much higher prices already and shortages overseas, that would be the best of both worlds this winter. Snow lovers get their snow and dry cold haters would be more content along with not too high energy bills.
I all for the lighter utility bills this winter … money saved

Back