• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2019-20 Discussion

Masiello has been waving the snowy/stormy flag for a little while now - I’m interested to see how things pan out

I believe he is talking about the Christmas time period when saying holidays but I might be wrong, it’s going to be a long month waiting for these “ good” changes to pop up. Patients will be key and I have Zero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice progression over the pole.
View attachment 26187

Yes, keep hope alive! I'm sure December is not going to be great. But if the blocking in greenland holds and we fight off a WAR/SE ridge most of the month like shown below, that's got to portend good things the rest of the winter....

As others have said, I can't remember any time AM has been this bullish on a winter. Doesn't mean he's right but it's interesting.

1574172635817.png

Remember that year Houston had a white Christmas?? That was good stuff! AM is the new JB?

Even in great pattens we can strike out in the SE.

View attachment 26191

Well, that was the year of the NC Piedmont massive ice storm. I can't recall any further snow though. We probably did but I can't recall. That ice storm was certainly memorable. I had no power for 3 days and it remained very cold after the storm. That was a very good winter pattern and I'm surprised we didn't get more. I'd take that pattern all day this year and take my chances.

1574182173591.png

Well, that was the year of the NC Piedmont massive ice storm. I can't recall any further snow though. We probably did but I can't recall. That ice storm was certainly memorable. I had no power for 3 days and it remained very cold after the storm. That was a very good winter pattern and I'm surprised we didn't get more. I'd take that pattern all day this year and take my chances.

View attachment 26192

Fairly active winter, just no big dogs for the piedmont. Would gladly take a repeat, seems like we would be tracking something weekly.

https://www.weather.gov/rah/events

It’s like nails on the chalkboard when I read “models flip flop” because they don’t....but GEFS sure is bouncing around. A couple discernible trends though is stronger NAO block and Siberian low.

6D189EEB-5F61-4CCF-9E87-BCE907C02C80.gif

View attachment 26192

January 23 2003 NC Snowmap.gif
January 16-17 2003 NC Snowmap.gif

February 15-17 2003 NC Snowmap.gif

February 26-27 2003 NC Snowmap.gif

You can find these on my site: https://www.webberweather.com/

or NWS RAH past events page: https://www.weather.gov/rah/events

It’s like nails on the chalkboard when I read “models flip flop” because they don’t....but GEFS sure is bouncing around. A couple discernible trends though is stronger NAO block and Siberian low.

View attachment 26196

That ridging around the Hudson Bay/Davis strait has been showing up a lot, and not backing down yet.. it’s really saving us from any torching atm and helps to keep a more average pattern, if that ridging disappears tho things will get ugly unless the pacific miraculously looks better

Thanks for that. Great winter, I'm surprised I didn't remember that January 22 storm. It was a very good storm for CLT. I guess the following year's February 04 storm of the decade must have spoiled me! lol.

Yeah that storm completely overshadowed the middle 2000s for those near the I-85 corridor between Greensboro & Charlotte.

Back