• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2019-20 Discussion

"Larry Cosgrove: Indian summer is no longer going to happen this month in east. Be very wary of accepting any extensive warming trends across the lower 48 states in December. "

Lol, this is the kiss of death! Torch inbound!

100 percent go opposite of what Larry says . He’s been terrible over the last few years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With all the back and forth emotional swings about how December is going to turn out, maybe we just end up with a “normal” Winter with threats in the climo favored time frame of January and February. The last 2 years have spoiled us a bit with these early December winter storms. Some of our best winters down here in Columbia came with virtually no threats in the SE in December. Maybe we can actually get a cold and stormy February for once.

Last edited:
With all the back and forth emotional swings about how December is going to turn out, maybe we just end up with a “normal” Winter with threats in the climo favored time frame of January and February. The last 2 years have spoiled us a bit with these early December winter storms. Some of our best winters down here in Columbia came with virtually no threats in the SE in December. Maybe we can actually get a cold and story February for once.
A cold story?

With all the back and forth emotional swings about how December is going to turn out, maybe we just end up with a “normal” Winter with threats in the climo favored time frame of January and February. The last 2 years have spoiled us a bit with these early December winter storms. Some of our best winters down here in Columbia came with virtually no threats in the SE in December. Maybe we can actually get a cold and stormy February for once.
Agree 100%. Those expecting yet another early December winter storm are likely going to be disappointed. I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a widespread threat east of the mountains until January.

Agree 100%. Those expecting yet another early December winter storm are likely going to be disappointed. I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a widespread threat east of the mountains until January.
Agree. 2013-2014 was sorta like that. There was a minor event for NC and SC in November 2013. But after that, there wasn't anything until Mid January 2014 when we had that arctic air mass that sorta set the tone for the late January storm that year. Then 2 weeks later, the big one hit in February of 2014. It's been odd the last few Winters. Last year, the early December storm hit a few lucky folks then nothing... until the weird storm in April. 2017-2018, the early December storm, then it got stupid cold at the end of the year into early January, then the coastal storm then the storm in Mid January then... nothing. Winter was basically over. 2016-2017 was another front loaded Winter with the big storm in early Jan that shafted a lot of folks then nothing except for the event in mid March but Mid March snow is pretty lame, it melts off quick and just doesn't have that same feel. So really, we haven't had a traditional Winter in quite some time. Trust me, I want a huge December snowstorm too, December snow just hits different with Christmas being in the air and everything, but unfortunately, it's not always going to happen.

My issue is not December in and of itself. I dont expect winter weather in December. January and February are the normal event months. December can torch away, doesn't really matter.

My issue is I have little faith in a flip come January if we completely go western trough through December. The winter pattern more or less repeats or seems to for years. What we get in December is what I expect for the winter. I'm holding out hope the poor Pacific is transient and the blocking more or less holds in December, tries to persist.

My issue is not December in and of itself. I dont expect winter weather in December. January and February are the normal event months. December can torch away, doesn't really matter.

My issue is I have little faith in a flip come January if we completely go western trough through December. The winter pattern more or less repeats or seems to for years. What we get in December is what I expect for the winter. I'm holding out hope the poor Pacific is transient and the blocking more or less holds in December, tries to persist.
Exactly my point! We keep saying It will look better in January or February. Even if there is good scientific proof to that, what happens if it doesn’t occur. We have had warmer winters the majority of the decade, there is nothing from stopping me to believe, we, the southeast people might be disappointed . As much as I hope to, what can go wrong will go wrong.

Luckily we don’t have and real analysis keeping from having a cold winter Christmas and onward. I’m not going to cliff dive, I am just weary of a repeat of last year. In which I don’t want me or anybody on the board to get their hopes up.

Hey batting .100 is better than striking out all the time, right. Right? Who am I kidding, the dude will bunt and it will hit him before he gets two steps from the box.
and your phd credentials, kind sir? lol

3b50794c33ac863fb2f8f622c2bf99a6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back