• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2019-20 Discussion

The December torch could be in jeopardy if it starts off like that. I’ll take a near normal December any year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Below normal Decembers are generally less frequent than below normal Februarys (obviously) in NINO winters, the ones that are BN in December often (but not always) produce a big dog east of the mtns in NC in Dec.

1896-97, 1904-05, 1905-06, 1930-31, 1958-59, 1963-64, 1969-70, 1997-98, 2002-03, 2004-05, & 2009-10 come to mind as good examples.

Last edited:
Just to check, do you or anyone else know of any winters with this setup that had the winter turn up AN? I also wonder how much "most" means.

I posted on this a while back, not a big sample size. But these are the BN weak ninos over past 40 years. Nov patterns compared to this Nov.

Still expecting AN winter though

3FAFA1AA-AA88-4FDC-814A-D6611DADC9BF.pngB2F281BD-3005-4C94-8CB6-DABCA11D92D8.jpeg

I would much rather have this setup going into the winter season. Having the hi5 maps looking like this and working for a active storm track later. The ULL in the SW is having an impact on our STJ stream. With out this we should become more stormy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Below normal Decembers are generally less frequent than below normal Februarys (obviously) in NINO winters, the ones that are BN in December often (but not always) produce a big dog east of the mtns in NC in Dec.

1896-97, 1904-05, 1905-06, 1930-31, 1958-59, 1963-64, 1969-70, 1997-98, 2002-03, 2004-05, & 2009-10 come to mind as good examples.
The December 2, 1896 snowstorm came oh so close to occurring in November.December 1896 Snowfall Totals.jpg

Know nothing about the jamstec, but our Japanese friends are predicting a sweet winter for the Eastern US: View attachment 26099

That would be incredible. But unfortunately, it looks just like the JAMSTEC maps for last winter such as this one that actually had much of the SE even colder (3-4 F colder than normal):

JamstecTempsDJFissuedjul18ColdSE.gif

Last edited:
Slowly but surely, as tropical forcing returns to the Indian Ocean & Eastern Hemisphere in general, the SE US ridge will attempt to make a return to the larger-scale pattern.

The long range EPS is trending in that direction. The only thing that's saving us from disaster is the blocking high over the Baffin Bay, eventually due to diffusive, radiative, & dissipative processes, it will run its course.

Webp.net-gifmaker (73).gif

Slowly but surely, as tropical forcing returns to the Indian Ocean & Eastern Hemisphere in general, the SE US ridge will attempt to make a return to the larger-scale pattern.

The long range EPS is trending in that direction. The only thing that's saving us from disaster is the blocking high over the Baffin Bay, eventually due to diffusive, radiative, & dissipative processes, it will run its course.

View attachment 26102
Yeah, I would definitely expect to warm up at some point. At least we are seeing the propensity for blocking. Looking out 10 days, you can still see that signal, which is encouraging. Hopefully, the Pacific will not turn hostile and remain that way this year.

Yeah, I would definitely expect to warm up at some point. At least we are seeing the propensity for blocking. Looking out 10 days, you can still see that signal, which is encouraging. Hopefully, the Pacific will not turn hostile and remain that way this year.
Rain, i agree. That is why i asked what model is handling the mjo correctly moving forward. Especially the site i previously mentioned that dacula has. Ultimately December will be warm regardless of what we want lol, but i just want one decent pattern for cold and winter weather.

"Larry Cosgrove: Indian summer is no longer going to happen this month in east. Be very wary of accepting any extensive warming trends across the lower 48 states in December. "

Lol, this is the kiss of death! Torch inbound!
Wonder what his thinking is behind that statement.

Back