• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2019-20 Discussion

Thought this was a favorable pattern for weakening the PV, Aleutian low and Scandinavian ridge.

All this talk of a strong early PV, hopefully changes in Dec.

View attachment 25222
This pattern actually favors PV intensification, the planetary-scale wave is actually located over the Bering Sea & NE Siberia, we'd need to complete flip the -EPO/WPO to generate the pattern that forces displacement of the PV.

This pattern actually favors PV intensification, the planetary-scale wave is actually located over the Bering Sea & NE Siberia, we'd need to complete flip the -EPO/WPO to generate the pattern that forces displacement of the PV.
Webber, if the seasonal models are correct with a +nao, we would want to see the -epo/wpo for us to get cold. Basically a more favorable Pacific.

Also Anthony Masiello mentions about the sea of okhotsk low is back. Does anyone know what he means. I think webber or gawx may know lol.

Webber, if the seasonal models are correct with a +nao, we would want to see the -epo/wpo for us to get cold. Basically a more favorable Pacific.
The EPO is something I really don't understand. I know we want it negative, but that's about it. I've seen years where we get (forecasted) positive NAO & AO along with a negative PNA (which I understand); but the EPO comes in negative and we end up with colder weather. Rain Cold (CR) remembers that year.

The EPO is something I really don't understand. I know we want it negative, but that's about it. I've seen years where we get (forecasted) positive NAO & AO along with a negative PNA (which I understand); but the EPO comes in negative and we end up with colder weather. Rain Cold (CR) remembers that year.
You want the epo/wpo both negative for colder weather. The pna is positive, which focuses the coldest weather in the east. We usually get glancing blows when its positive. I think the cold pattern lasts, but will focus much further west later.

A -EPO is a good seeder for cold air in Canada. It promotes cross-polar flow. When paired with a +PNA, bitterly cold air can intrude into the US, frequently the eastern US, depending on the PNA ridge placement. If the PNA is neutral or negative, the coldest anoms will set up in the west or central parts of the country.

Had a feeling JB couldn’t go into a winter AN in the mid Atlantic.

21EA5012-5F56-4A53-BCA1-AEA6DB049AB7.png

a94765075834b030b4f57025f3dc1350.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn’t bet against the EC. Or to put it another way, I wouldn’t bet on the Americans.
The ONLY reason I'd go with the Euro here is due to winter persistence. It was so bad last year. I honestly think every single one of these seasonal models is no better than a coin flip.

The ONLY reason I'd go with the Euro here is due to winter persistence. It was so bad last year. I honestly think every single one of these seasonal models is no better than a coin flip.
In all honesty, I never pay attention to them, you’re actually a lot better off looking at analogs (which says a lot).

Back