• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2019-20 Discussion

More chat on twitter in regards to a minor Polar Vortex event possibly on the horizon. Since there seems to be ways to forecast the possibilities of a SSW is there any way to forecast where the split occurs or even where the cold air is displaced to?

Last year we had a major event, but other factors muted the real possibilities it could have been. It just wasnt a cold winter last year, except way to our nw.

Joe D’Aleo, says buckle up, this winter is going to be a roller coaster, I think is JBs partner, so basically expect torch!
My impression was Joe D'Aleo was a mentor to JB and possibly better at identifying long range winter patterns. Either way I take long range with a grain of salt after last winter. I'm hoping the Modoki actually helps us this go around and we see some blocking in the right places.

One thing I see really interesting is the Euro is keeping the strongest lobe of the PV close to the Hudson Bay with strong blocking over the pole. I'm really getting shades again of 2013-2014. If this stays as such, a -EPO/+PNA will blast the US. The EPS and GEFS are close to this solution.

One thing I see really interesting is the Euro is keeping the strongest lobe of the PV close to the Hudson Bay with strong blocking over the pole. I'm really getting shades again of 2013-2014. If this stays as such, a -EPO/+PNA will blast the US. The EPS and GEFS are close to this solution.
The EPS not showing a torch and actually showing cold in addition to the GEFS showing it too is a good sign, especially the blocking. I think we are going to live up to the November thread's title in the mid term. In the long range, Let's just see where it takes us. It would be funny if we got last years overhyped winter this year instead of this year's supposed torch that was last year. In other words, the years are opposite of the forecast.

The EPS not showing a torch and actually showing cold in addition to the GEFS showing it too is a good sign, especially the blocking. I think we are going to live up to the November thread's title in the mid term. In the long range, Let's just see where it takes us. It would be funny if we got last years overhyped winter this year instead of this year's supposed torch that was last year. In other words, the years are opposite of the forecast.
That’s what I was thinking. Maybe the cold winter we were expected to see last year will happen this year.

Hi Arcc. From what i read, that really isn't a good analog. Totally different in the fact of PDO moving from - to + that winter and opposite this year. Also, high solar year. I will admit, it was a great winter. For most at least.

During the fall, we have shorter wavelengths but during winter, we have longer wavelengths. Webber or gawx can attest to that. Longer wavelengths are usually more stable, but can fluctuate somewhat.

Thought this was a favorable pattern for weakening the PV, Aleutian low and Scandinavian ridge.

All this talk of a strong early PV, hopefully changes in Dec.

90A55BA5-3586-4570-80FC-C435C0B8DB09.png

The delay of the Arctic sea ice growth should keep the PV weak for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's getting to the point where we just have to wait and see. Nothing is predictive anymore. 144 hrs and closer is all we can "see".
Resisting the temptation to "model knock" but the verifications have not been stellar ... IMHO oftentimes it's not 144 hours, but more like 14.4 ... and this is said with a degree of seriousness ... Also IMHO, the "thing" to watch are pattern drivers out past day 5 ...

8adf926b66dc4b6da2d6b04bd9e3948e.jpg

Hmmmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back