• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2019-20 Discussion

He mentions this sea ice growth on the North Pacific side needs to be watched through the Winter. Does anyone here know what effect if any this has on Winter?
B3C464BA-A359-4F22-A368-7B1A052576F7.jpeg8DFD80C2-34CF-496D-A3BC-F1EB1BA3158C.jpeg

He mentions this sea ice growth on the North Pacific side needs to be watched through the Winter. Does anyone here know what effect if any this has on Winter?
View attachment 24728View attachment 24729
Sea ice growth doesn’t correlate to good winters in the SE at all! I think he’s hyped or mentions it every winter as a way to predict cold and snowy winters. More ice growth quicker, the colder the winter and it’s wrong almost every winter! I put in in the same category as JBs bathtub slosh theory

It's dependent ... -EPO, MJO pf 8 close to or barely inside the COD and ... maybe ... so much to consider and one ice variable isn't worth driving a nail into ...

I'd say it has nothing to do with what's to come and more of what already happened. We had a longer melt time this year due to a stagnant pattern that not only overbaked the SE, but also the Arctic. It'll readjust.

Sea ice growth doesn’t correlate to good winters in the SE at all! I think he’s hyped or mentions it every winter as a way to predict cold and snowy winters. More ice growth quicker, the colder the winter and it’s wrong almost every winter! I put in in the same category as JBs bathtub slosh theory
He and JB are some of the few I don't really call reliable. They come up with those wild theories that don't apply to every winter just like the -NAO and snow correlation! There's always something else that will cancel the party or liven it up.

He and JB are some of the few I don't really call reliable. They come up with those wild theories that don't apply to every winter just like the -NAO and snow correlation! There's always something else that will cancel the party or liven it up.
Ditto, bingo ... and thanks for the sage words!
Sea ice ... LOL ... Lanier is gonna be skateable ... :oops:

Probably going to be a while. Hopefully, nobody has any high hopes of it this year. We can already see the usual modeling scenario playing out. Going to be a long winter watching pattern illusions and chasing false starts and digital snow mirages.
Speak for yourself. I’m getting a 6” event EASILY this winter. It’s a no doubter!

I guess its best to be pessimistic than be too optimistic at this stage of the game. The things i am most intrigued about are the QBO and the IOD. There are so many factors to consider.

Back