• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2019-20 Discussion

Probably going to be a while. Hopefully, nobody has any high hopes of it this year. We can already see the usual modeling scenario playing out. Going to be a long winter watching pattern illusions and chasing false starts and digital snow mirages.
Going to send you a PM, but you can't open it until after 12/29 ... have thoughts, but ... o_O

Probably going to be a while. Hopefully, nobody has any high hopes of it this year. We can already see the usual modeling scenario playing out. Going to be a long winter watching pattern illusions and chasing false starts and digital snow mirages.
December is a fall month anymore. February is a spring month. Only winter we have left is a 10 day shot in January anymore.

We've been stuck in this regime w/ a hefty NE Pacific/AK ridge, SE Canada vortex & SE US ridge complemented by a stout +NPMM & warm "blob" in the Gulf of Alaska since the winter of 2012-13.

The month-to-month evolution of these winters is certainly intriguing & imo a good place to start for this winter's forecast.

Like the October US temp analogs, the last several winters suggest a greater potential for a colder than normal November followed by a torchy December. Thereafter, January has been a complete toss-up, February has been warmer than average but interspersed w/ a few gems when we are cold.

cd75.184.25.237.292.11.41.58.prcp.png
cd75.184.25.237.292.11.38.59.prcp.png

cd75.184.25.237.292.11.38.12.prcp.png
cd75.184.25.237.292.11.37.41.prcp.png

As some of us would probably attest to, the only winter month that's consistently performed in our favor vs normals the last several years is March.
With the warmer than average Octobers & Decembers & cooler November & Marches, we've basically had shorter than normal springs & falls, and backloaded winters. This gets annoying after a while.

cd75.184.25.237.292.11.38.38.prcp.png

So winter is only when we are significantly below average 3 months straight? I see, no wonder disappointment is everywhere.

We probably won’t see DJF below normal for awhile. I think we forget we get snow even in a warm winter. We will see snow in the SE this year. Just not 5-10ft we want. Looks very 2013ish and that winter was good here in Ga.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Am I the only one who isn't all doom and gloom lol, despite the above average conditions every winter since 2012-13 had had a notable event.

Personally I believe that even if we do end up above average overall, it won't be a megatorch and overall closer to average. We don't need wall to wall BN departures for a good winter.

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

We probably won’t see DJF below normal for awhile. I think we forget we get snow even in a warm winter. We will see snow in the SE this year. Just not 5-10ft we want. Looks very 2013ish and that winter was good here in Ga.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warm winter and snow in my opinion is alright and what I like, rather would go from snow or some nice weather to go outside and grill, and not have to deal with lip cracking cold after, been like that these past few years where like a week after winter storms we torch with return flow and a pumping Bermuda high, and you can still get good snows in a warm winter, that’s especially easy for North Carolina

So winter is only when we are significantly below average 3 months straight? I see, no wonder disappointment is everywhere.
No but average would be nice for a change. Look a couple posts above. +4 for Decembers this decade. February isn't much better. The only month that is average is January over the decade. That's not very winter like!

669037f44f9248108545db8ecd9ada65.jpg

emoji2357.png
emoji91.png

Here was the prediction for last winter made in November, which was an even colder prediction:

1571597293504.jpeg

We ain't gonna know what's gonna happen till it happens
That's all i got to say
That's a smart approach.... We have been fooled by long range models and predictions too many times. However, just for one winter, I would like to see it verify colder than forecasted. I think that NOAA's outlook will bust too warm as a whole. My winter forecast continues to be for a normal winter (+/-0.5 F) when all is said and done..... Is that too much to ask for?

That's a smart approach.... We have been fooled by long range models and predictions too many times. However, just for one winter, I would like to see it verify colder than forecasted. I think that NOAA's outlook will bust too warm as a whole. My winter forecast continues to be for a normal winter (+/-0.5 F) when all is said and done..... Is that too much to ask for?

Yes, most likely too much to ask for. But +1 to +2 (vs 1981-2010 average) may be attainable if we’re fortunate. Compared to last winter, that would be so much colder and it would be cold enough to be a real winter.

Yes, most likely too much to ask for. But +1 to +2 (vs 1981-2010 average) may be attainable if we’re fortunate. Compared to last winter, that would be so much colder and it would be cold enough to be a real winter.
Public PM ... watch out for January ... fruit on the tree is ripe ...

Am I the only one who isn't all doom and gloom lol, despite the above average conditions every winter since 2012-13 had had a notable event.

Personally I believe that even if we do end up above average overall, it won't be a megatorch and overall closer to average. We don't need wall to wall BN departures for a good winter.

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk
I’m not worried at all just as I would not be all excited if everyone was predicting a great winter. The last five winters I’ve had 3 really good ones and two really really bad ones. Because of the good winters before last I got overly excited last fall when everything was pointing to a great winter. It was a good reminder to not get to up or down on predictions for winter. Whatever is going to happen will happen regardless of predictions beforehand. Luckily I live far enough north and high enough in elevation that I rarely have 3 bad winters in a row. So if I experience a 2nd bad winter in a row this year ive got a pretty good shot at a good winter next season. Hopefully though most of us get a good one this season!

For any of you who have the winter blues already. Just trying to keep the vibes positive in here. ☃️❄️
View attachment 24727

I’m sorry but I can’t take him serious, that’s some very long range type stuff, many factors that can negate cold making it the the SE

Back