• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2019-20 Discussion

1. Golf,
Most active posters obviously want a snowy winter (which is often accomplished from from just one significant storm) but it isn't clear to me that most of the more vocal members want it cold, too. Based on past posts, a good number would prefer snowy but with it being not so cold or even mild, which of course is quite doable in the SE US. I recall many posts with folks whining when it is cold but dry.

2. JB's forecast is not for a mild E US winter but rather for a near normal one and he could easily still end up much too warm as it is based on most of the 2010s. However, relative to his usual, yes he's predicting intense heat lol.

I am one that hates very cold and dry. I want one of two things in winter...snow or warm and dry.

I’m at 900 feet in elevation.
I used to live close to you, Portland/Westmoreland area. I think my elevation was around 1050ft. I remember getting a lot of good snow events on the "rim" (Highland Rim), while the lower areas near the river (Gallatin, Hville, etc) got the nasty mix, and in some cases all rain. If i recall correctly, those areas sat around 550-700 ft.... Man do I miss the good ole Tennessee days.

Honestly atm I share JB's sentiment and I think the SE and the Eastern U.S as a whole will be near normal overall(which will feel cold as heck compared to previous years lol).

Nothing at the moment screams cold or warm to me in my opinion, things of course can and will change between now and the start of winter but right now there is no reason to predict anything other than near average temps for the E. Coast.

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

I like a slightly below average winter with a few big cold shots. If I could see a storm half the size maybe even a quarter of ‘93 or ‘73 I think I would bet set for life.

I didn't mean to imply that I think only a few want it cold. I do think many like myself (although I don't mind the normal mild interludes that will just about always show up in the SE and I love winter much more than summer regardless of how mild it is) want it cold, regardless of snow. But Golf said "We all want a cold snowy winter, or at least most do.", which I think is overstating it regard the cold part because I think at least a very sizable and vocal minority don't like the cold when it isn't also with snow (which is most of the time in the SE).
Cold is such a waste in the south. What good is cold without snow ? I dont mind dry cold in December though, since it makes it feel more festive. But cold and dry in Jan and Feb kinda suck.

Cold is such a waste in the south. What good is cold without snow ? I dont mind dry cold in December though, since it makes it feel more festive. But cold and dry in Jan and Feb kinda suck.

giphy.gif

that was the worst part of last winter to me, all the hype, and we had the cold, but zero snow to show for it... it was such a failure I'll probably never get over lol

Honestly atm I share JB's sentiment and I think the SE and the Eastern U.S as a whole will be near normal overall(which will feel cold as heck compared to previous years lol).

Nothing at the moment screams cold or warm to me in my opinion, things of course can and will change between now and the start of winter but right now there is no reason to predict anything other than near average temps for the E. Coast.

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

But honestly, what is normal? The new normal or the normal we all grew up with in the 70’s, 80’s, and early 90’s? If it’s the new normal then a dumpster fire is what’s coming. The new normal is warm winters.

But honestly, what is normal? The new normal or the normal we all grew up with in the 70’s, 80’s, and early 90’s? If it’s the new normal then a dumpster fire is what’s coming. The new normal is warm winters.
Understand the sentiment ... but please go look ... during your grandparents and great-grandparents and and great-great-grandparents lives there were some very warm stretches, and some very bitter ones as well ... and then also, what happens in one part of the country isn't necessarily happening in other parts ...

Understand the sentiment ... but please go look ... during your grandparents and great-grandparents and and great-great-grandparents lives there were some very warm stretches, and some very bitter ones as well ... and then also, what happens in one part of the country isn't necessarily happening in other parts ...

Mother Nature tends to even out over time. She is good like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah we went 11 years without a major hurricane hitting the US(2005-2016) until 2017 and look at since... its been insanity
We haven't had one this year yet, but we still have another month or so unfortunately. Dorian was just a few small changes from being that storm. 94L could be that storm, or the one after it unfortunately.

While talking about grandparents, I’ll wish another 1899 winter and a double dose of Jan 88 please!

I like also think this looks pretty good:

View attachment 23305

I’m exaggerating a little, but they always look pretty good. In fact they looked not only pretty good but fantastic last winter. I mean historically fantastic. That’s why they’re largely meaningless to me. They unfortunately have a cold E US bias due to too much troughing over the E US and too much ridging out west. I remain pessimistic about anything other than still another mild winter though one not as ridiculously mild as last winter would seemingly be likely just based on stats.

I’m exaggerating a little, but they always look pretty good. In fact they looked not only pretty good but fantastic last winter. I mean historically fantastic. That’s why they’re largely meaningless to me. They unfortunately have a cold E US bias due to too much troughing over the E US and too much ridging out west. I remain pessimistic about anything other than still another mild winter though one not as ridiculously mild as last winter would seemingly be likely just based on stats.
Got sunburned on a Christmas Day once; had sticking snow on the ground on a Christmas Day once ... in Hogtown ... :cool:

Back