• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2019-20 Discussion

Take this with a grain of salt

I take any seasonal forecast with many grains of salt lol. Of course, I think they claim 85 percent accuracy. Amazing the spread of forecasts, but for me, better to go warm and bust than cold and bust.

As always, we will look forward to winter and always have that hope that brings us here.

I take any seasonal forecast with many grains of salt lol. Of course, I think they claim 85 percent accuracy. Amazing the spread of forecasts, but for me, better to go warm and bust than cold and bust.

As always, we will look forward to winter and always have that hope that brings us here.

There really isn’t any reason people in AL and east GA shouldn’t be optimistic concerning winter considering the past ten years.

There really isn’t any reason people in AL and east GA shouldn’t be optimistic concerning winter considering the past ten years.

2009-10 and 13-14. Only 2 winters I’ve seen snow in the past 10 years. I go into every winter expecting poop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right, I’ve seen snow here 6 out of past 10 winters.

Compared to the 2000s that’s just amazing to think about.

Right, I’ve seen snow here 6 out of past 10 winters.

Compared to the 2000s that’s just amazing to think about.
Yknow i feel like i'm always disappointed with the amount of snow i get here (looking at you December 2018 storm)
But heck at least I see snow every year. Y'all make me feel selfish lol

Yea the Southeast has done really well during the 2010's. If you got shafted i'm sorry, but we are bound to do worse in the 2020's. I didn't see a single flake last year, and I would be surprised to see one this year tbh.

Last winter gave me a refresher course on not buying into winter forecasts no matter how good or bad they are. It was supposed to be a blockbuster winter last season. Early on it looked like it would be as I got my first dusting on November 15th and some freezing rain in early December. After that though the best snow I got wasn’t even one inch followed by a few more flurry events.The truth is we won’t really know what the winter will bring each season until it is among us. I do hope and pray that February won’t torch for a 3rd season in a row though. My perfect winter season would be to get some late December snows followed by some late February thumpers!

Last winter gave me a refresher course on not buying into winter forecasts no matter how good or bad they are. It was supposed to be a blockbuster winter last season. Early on it looked like it would be as I got my first dusting on November 15th and some freezing rain in early December. After that though the best snow I got wasn’t even one inch followed by a few more flurry events.The truth is we won’t really know what the winter will bring each season until it is among us. I do hope and pray that February won’t torch for a 3rd season in a row though. My perfect winter season would be to get some late December snows followed by some late February thumpers!
My dream winter is three big ones (6-8")... Xmas, January, February

What is your elevation?

To me it is strange how consistently warm September and February have been, even May to some extent. All transition months.

We all want a cold snowy winter, or at least most do. Anthony Masiello said early on that it would be most like 94-95 last winter, which it really was for the most part. He is really good with patterns imo. Try to pay attention to him on twitter. Apparently the hadley cell was out of sync with the overall pattern. He mentioned that quite alot.

I agree with the poster above saying he learned last year not to buy a seasonal forecast. I won't look more than 2 weeks ahead myself anymore.

With that said I'm almost certain it'll be above average. That's not a forecast, that's just how it is anymore and should be expected. We we still see a threat or two of a good storm and some will be at or above average snowfall and some won't and will complain. (Probabaly me)

We all want a cold snowy winter, or at least most do. Anthony Masiello said early on that it would be most like 94-95 last winter, which it really was for the most part. He is really good with patterns imo. Try to pay attention to him on twitter. Apparently the hadley cell was out of sync with the overall pattern. He mentioned that quite alot.

1. Golf,
Most active posters obviously want a snowy winter (which is often accomplished from from just one significant storm) but it isn't clear to me that most of the more vocal members want it cold, too. Based on past posts, a good number would prefer snowy but with it being not so cold or even mild, which of course is quite doable in the SE US. I recall many posts with folks whining when it is cold but dry.

2. JB's forecast is not for a mild E US winter but rather for a near normal one and he could easily still end up much too warm as it is based on most of the 2010s. However, relative to his usual, yes he's predicting intense heat lol.

Yea the Southeast has done really well during the 2010's. If you got shafted i'm sorry, but we are bound to do worse in the 2020's. I didn't see a single flake last year, and I would be surprised to see one this year tbh.

Yea it’s been hit or miss but that’s normal in the SE. personally I saw more winter storms between 2000-2010 then I have between 2011- present. I’m sure it will even out. I keep hearing 20-21 going to be great! We will see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. Golf,
Most active posters obviously want a snowy winter (which is often accomplished from from just one significant storm) but it isn't clear to me that most of the more vocal members want it cold, too. Based on past posts, a good number would prefer snowy but with it being not so cold or even mild, which of course is quite doable in the SE US. I recall many posts with folks whining when it is cold but dry.

2. JB's forecast is not for a mild E US winter but rather for a near normal one and he could easily still end up much too warm as it is based on most of the 2010s. However, relative to his usual, yes he's predicting intense heat lol.
Lol guess i'm one of the few that want it cold. Gimmie highs in the 30s/40s/low 50s for a month pls

Lol guess i'm one of the few that want it cold. Gimmie highs in the 30s/40s/low 50s for a month pls

I didn't mean to imply that I think only a few want it cold. I do think many like myself (although I don't mind the normal mild interludes that will just about always show up in the SE and I love winter much more than summer regardless of how mild it is) want it cold, regardless of snow. But Golf said "We all want a cold snowy winter, or at least most do.", which I think is overstating it regard the cold part because I think at least a very sizable and vocal minority don't like the cold when it isn't also with snow (which is most of the time in the SE).

I didn't mean to imply that I think only a few want it cold. I do think many like myself (although I don't mind the normal mild interludes that will just about always show up in the SE and I love winter much more than summer regardless of how mild it is) want it cold, regardless of snow. But Golf said "We all want a cold snowy winter, or at least most do.", which I think is overstating it regard the cold part because I think at least a very sizable and vocal minority don't like the cold when it isn't also with snow (which is most of the time in the SE).
Give me cold, Larry, for 8 - 10 weeks ... a few hard freezes, lots of 20's in between them, and ergo no Cuban frogs ... if in the process a flake falls or a pellet pings, Hogtown has won!

BTW ^^^ up until five or so years ago, that's the way it was ... still blame it on my boys growing up and moving out ... they loved fires and an excuse to stay up late, and "tend" one ... which would still be going and feel great when I woke the next AM ... ;) ...

Back