• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2018-19 Discussion

18z yesterday
79c1327d36cbf533b976fa67a25b0013.png

12z today
8f3fbece11033384d36cfaed5c847368.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks to be cool/cold through the middle of Dec according to the EURO weeklies but then a warm up, unfortunately at Christmas, until the New Year and then turning cold again. The 46 day average shows us 1-2 below normal and snow down into Northern/Central NC and into EXTREME NW SC and NE Georgia as well as most all of Tenn.

I can't see it past 240 but I'm guessing it's because there's a trough in the west?

ecmwf-ens_z500a_nhem_11.png

Yes, the flow is flatter, but the Newfoundland low lifts north quicker, SER decides to pop in for a visit. I guess we couldn't expect the SER to hibernate all winter, couldn't even stay asleep for a day.

Screen Shot 2018-11-21 at 1.17.50 PM.png

Here's a current map of snow cover anomalies for the Northern Hemisphere. Looks like most of North America is at or above average which will help with transport of cold masses into our area (less modification) as we get closer to the heart of winter.
plot_anom_sdep.png

Also note readings are averaging a bit AN for snowfall mass.
fmi_swe_tracker.jpg

Back