• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2018-19 Discussion

So far through Nov 17th the pattern is very similar to the previous Nov snowy/cold nino composites. For Dec the composites show npac low more east then we like but retrogrades west into Jan/Feb. Thus temps get progressively colder. In short, I like where we are. (knock on wood)
C86E3156-B433-473C-9C41-40B6AA3CD4BD.gif
A5455725-CF6A-4F49-A370-2B41C9D7FF9F.png
2FA99835-6429-4290-A301-6DF92E30AA94.png

Complete chaos. Gotta get rid of that gigantic low in the Pacific.
gfs_z500a_namer_38.png

I think the stranger thing is that it has three very powerfull ULLs exerting influence over NA.

December/mid December can't get here soon enough. Can we keep

Do the euro ensembles show us losing the greenland block the first week in December? Looks like from dts post...:confused:
3 to 4 weeks away, so don't fret. DT loves it when anything looking good south of the NC border even appears like it may collapse ... Take it and him with a huge and bitter grain of salt ...
Hell, he even thinks the entirety of the Civil War was fought in PA and VA ...
Off the soapbox before love shines brighter ...

3 to 4 weeks away, so don't fret. DT loves it when anything looking good south of the NC border even appears like it may collapse ... Take it and him with a huge and bitter grain of salt ...
Hell, he even thinks the entirety of the Civil War was fought in PA and VA ...
Off the soapbox before love shines brighter ...
Yeah, whatever gets Richmond/DCA snow, he’s good with! I think he’s bitter that the severely cold part of the Thanksgiving blast, is going to hit BOS/NYC hard, and not him

Do the euro ensembles show us losing the greenland block the first week in December? Looks like from dts post...:confused:
Not sure, but we can’t have wall to wall cold!? Has to be a relaxation period, then the hammer drops Christmas-Feb!

No and yes.

That screenshot is from the weeklies which does have a neutral NAO by Dec 6...but that’s hour 370-400 or so. I wouldn’t put much weight into that. However, what he’s pointing out is the deep negative anomalies for the EC trough. Usually a sign of a storm. Very impressive negative anomalies for so far out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not at all saying this year is like a 09-10, but I believe I remember that year, models kept trying to break the blocking down. And it just kept coming back.

I certainly hope so. I'm sure we can have a decent winter without it, but the blocking is what has me excited.

Euro threat #1. Euro caved to the GFS, doesnt tear down the ridge. Now if we can get the southern wave a smidge faster.

Attachments

• us_model-en-087-0_modez_2018112000_174_5_310.png
    us_model-en-087-0_modez_2018112000_174_5_310.png
    311.6 KB · Views: 35
  • us_model-en-087-0_modez_2018112000_174_5_457.png
    us_model-en-087-0_modez_2018112000_174_5_457.png
    436.6 KB · Views: 34
There are a few (~3-4) EPS members that produce >1" of snow in central-eastern NC when that s/w comes eastward around day 8-10.
View attachment 7522

Whatever storm we got in this timeframe would probably be Miller type-A/coastal low in the Carolinas unless more North Pacific blocking appears between now & verification.

download (34).png

Hey Webber I know it's too early to say but does Alabama and Mississippi areas have a chance during this time frame?

No idea on who or if this threat would even materialize I'm just stating generally speaking if one comes to fruition, the planetary-scale pattern we have in place supports coastal lows or perhaps an overrunning event. I've generally noticed it's hard to get big cold air damming events w/o significant North Pacific blocking seeding the continent and northern stream waves w/ frigid Siberian air and getting split flow upstream in the eastern Pacific.

Back