• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2018-19 Discussion

Lmao

You keep looking , it’s been a while since we’ve seen something so beautiful . We won’t judge you . In fact I’m gonna look tonight while sloshing in the tub !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, If that happens as modeled, we all will be looking at a good start to winter. Nothing like that to get you in the mood for Christmas. Now, let's get some white on the ground.

7df363a4e4a36cf64924bbbf4e278c9c.jpg
7f25fe16c2ea3587473bb3cb47418948.jpg
602db9b195cebdab6bec55278fbb9438.jpg

tenor.gif

Lmao

You keep looking , it’s been a while since we’ve seen something so beautiful . We won’t judge you . In fact I’m gonna look tonight while sloshing in the tub !

Sloshin in the boys room

To elaborate slightly more on an earlier tweet, tne thing to note here is the Scandinavian high at least in the EPS is undergoing more rapid retrogression towards Greenland in the extended range, which says a lot about the amplitude of the ridge in the model even when you consider how spread increases w/ time in an ensemble suite. Larger/stronger Rossby Waves undergo more planetary vorticity advection, thus retrograde more vehemently while at the same time, the background flow might be turning more easterly (if the amplitude of the high doesn't change) which is also more favorable for blocking. Point being, in either case, although the look on the EPS seems fantastic in the longer range (& rightfully so), what I'm arguing is that we're actually trending towards an even better pattern!

ecmwf-ens_z500a_nhem_fh168_trend (2).gif

To elaborate slightly more on an earlier tweet, tne thing to note here is the Scandinavian high at least in the EPS is undergoing more rapid retrogression towards Greenland in the extended range, which says a lot about the amplitude of the ridge in the model even when you consider how spread increases w/ time in an ensemble suite. Larger/stronger Rossby Waves undergo more planetary vorticity advection, thus retrograde more vehemently while at the same time, the background flow might be turning more easterly (if the amplitude of the high doesn't change) which is also more favorable for blocking. Point being, in either case, although the look on the EPS seems fantastic in the longer range (& rightfully so), what I'm arguing is that we're actually trending towards an even better pattern!

View attachment 7381

What was the pattern that lead up to the storm last year? If this upcoming pattern is similar or better than the one last year then we might end up seeing a winter storm.

If we were a month down the line I’d be even more excited !!! But looking at the temperature anomalies it does not reveal that cold of an airmass . Still very exciting though

Yep. We need a little more help from the Pacific side to more efficiently transport cold into the area. It's good to see that the atmosphere can create a -NAO, though. Hopefully, we'll see that periodically throughout the winter.

If we were a month down the line I’d be even more excited !!! But looking at the temperature anomalies it does not reveal that cold of an airmass . Still very exciting though

Haven't you learned anything over the years? The models can't see the cold......c'mon man. ;)

I really want to see where we are in reality around Thanksgiving and what the models are spitting out for early December. The ridging across the north Pacific into Alaska and the arctic circle along with the Scandinavian ridge has me intrigued.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
You sniffed that one out hound-dog....

We have a -EPO/-NAO/-AO in the LR and an active STJ. I feel pretty good about the next two-four weeks.

I’m actually fairly confident if we get the blocking as modeled, that we might have a chance during the last week of November into December. Of course it’s probably going to be a frustrating system if it materializes as temps will be borderline....but it just depends.

The fact that we’re talking storm chances before December is crazy. Hold on!

Yep. We need a little more help from the Pacific side to more efficiently transport cold into the area. It's good to see that the atmosphere can create a -NAO, though. Hopefully, we'll see that periodically throughout the winter.

Lol, that is pretty ironic. The last 8 years we've always said we need more help from the Atlantic. We finally look like we get it, now we're looking at the pacific! One ocean is always trying to mess with us... That long range EPS that Webb posted would do the trick I think....the west coast ridge seems like it's in the right spot for a nice cold +pna/-epo.

I still think we're way early though anyway. We need to move to the second half of December for myb to get in the game.

Lol, that is pretty ironic. The last 8 years we've always said we need more help from the Atlantic. We finally look like we get it, now we're looking at the pacific! One ocean is always trying to mess with us... That long range EPS that Webb posted would do the trick I think....the west coast ridge seems like it's in the right spot for a nice cold +pna/-epo.

I still think we're way early though anyway. We need to move to the second half of December for myb to get in the game.

Eh, like Jon said I think we might have a chance late November/Early December. It probably won't be a Carolina Crusher but we still have a chance.

Back