• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical TS OPHELIA ?

Just went under a TS warning in Pitt....

...TROPICAL STORM WARNING IN EFFECT...

A Tropical Storm Warning means tropical storm-force winds are
expected somewhere within this area within the next 36 hours

* LOCATIONS AFFECTED
- Greenville
- Farmville
- Grifton

* WIND
- LATEST LOCAL FORECAST: Equivalent Tropical Storm force wind
- Peak Wind Forecast: 35-45 mph with gusts to 55 mph
- Window for Tropical Storm force winds: early Saturday
morning until Saturday morning
I think an 85mph hurricane is doable.

18z 3kNAM doesn’t have much change from 12z. Comes in around Topsail Beach and Surf City at 985mb and goes inland NW from there

18z 3kNAM doesn’t have much change from 12z. Comes in around Topsail Beach and Surf City at 985mb and goes inland NW from there
Biggest wind output for mby yet and I'm in brjnswick and don't even have a TS watch or warning for me

I imagine that if follows the stronger models with development, you might see the NHC expand the watch on to the NC/SC border

The track the GFS takes would push alot of water up the chesapeake bay. Goes right up just west of the bay

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_7.png

Dont look now but im posting this here instead of the regular tropical thread because at 150 this may be partially whats left of the storm coming back SW

Big high to the north and low to the south at 150

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_25.png

Honestly, PTC 16 looks like an El Nino-type Winter Storm than Tropical System. There's even split-flow pattern over the CONUS. Essentially, a strong Subtropical Jet from the West Pacific is piling upper level energy over the tropically-enhanced area vorticity that's cutting off north of the Bahamas. Strengthening is wholly baroclonic. https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/sat/satlooper.php?region=atl&product=wv_mid

Interestingly, the subtropical punch over Southern Florida looks much stronger than the models advertised. There were Gusts of 50-70MPH that reached the surface, and a vortex that almost reached the ground in Pembroke Pines, FL. You can see this area on the WV Imagery above. Very Hot and Humid Environment was disturbed.

Last edited:
This is a big spread out extratropical low so the pressure to wind relation may not be typical to that of a tropical system. I'm thinking mid to upper level TS strength. Hoping to set a new wind record on my PWS ?

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back