• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Tropical Weather Banter & Venting Thread

Stephanie Abrams said Wilmington had their strongest wind gust since 1960. I have a hard time believing there have not been any stronger hurricanes pass through that area since 1960. Didn't Fran go through that area ?

Stephanie Abrams said Wilmington had their strongest wind gust since 1960. I have a hard time believing there have not been any stronger hurricanes pass through that area since 1960. Didn't Fran go through that area ?

The 91 mph wind gust in Wilmington from Florence is stronger than what was recorded in hurricane Fran or Floyd (86 mph) which had the highest gust up until this point.

The 91 mph wind gust in Wilmington from Florence is stronger than what was recorded in hurricane Fran or Floyd (86 mph) which had the highest gust up until this point.

I just don't understand how a Cat 1 could bring higher gusts than Fran or Floyd did. Is it because Florence is coming in from the east ?

Commute to work was dead this morning, I know a bunch of people who had their offices close today (completely unwarranted if you ask me). Breweries have been offering free water to people...yet Charlotte water made it through Hugo just fine. The mass hysteria around here has been pretty laughable. I just made sure I strapped down the garbage cans when I left for work this morning and went about my day just like any other Friday.

I have now heard a reporter on ABC and WRAL twice say Wake Co. and central NC is under a tornado warning.... there is no warning just a watch. How can a journalist mix up a watch and a warning and how does no one at the station correct them? Drives me insane

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Commute to work was dead this morning, I know a bunch of people who had their offices close today (completely unwarranted if you ask me). Breweries have been offering free water to people...yet Charlotte water made it through Hugo just fine. The mass hysteria around here has been pretty laughable. I just made sure I strapped down the garbage cans when I left for work this morning and went about my day just like any other Friday.

This storm is nothing like Hugo & no Charlotte was most certainly not "fine" after that storm. Making broad brushed, very misguided assumptions about Florence & mocking how people prepared based on your own highly skewed, misconstrued experience in one storm in your backyard is incompetence & ignorance at its finest. This kind of rationale is a big reason why people die in natural disasters.

Glad this was not a cat 4 like it was originally forecasted to be when it came on land. It is bad enough as it is with the flooding and wind. People should look at that as a blessing. Unfortunately, I think a lot of folks inland are going to look at it as a cry wolf thing and not pay attention to future threats.

Thank you Eric. That attitude has had me ripping my hair out all night watching what Florence has been doing to the coastline.
This storm is nothing like Hugo & no Charlotte was most certainly not "fine" after that storm. Making broad brushed, very misguided assumptions about Florence & mocking how people prepared based on your own highly skewed, misconstrued experience in one storm in your backyard is incompetence & ignorance at its finest. This kind of rationale is a big reason why people die in natural disasters.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

That comment that I saw of someone saying we might need to reclassify major flood threats with hurricanes so people pay more attention, I think I have to agree with that. Even if a storm isn't that major Category 3 or higher at landfall, it can still be dangerous because of flooding.

I actually wanted to compare the flood potential of Florence in NE SC/North Carolina coast to similar to what happened with Harvey in south Texas myself, but I was a little gun shy of throwing that out there.

I have now heard a reporter on ABC and WRAL twice say Wake Co. and central NC is under a tornado warning.... there is no warning just a watch. How can a journalist mix up a watch and a warning and how does no one at the station correct them? Drives me insane

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
If you really don’t follow weather, I guess it’s hard to discern from one to the other! Kind of like plants, people ask me all the time what’s the difference between an annual and a perennial?? A very simple question, but if you don’t know, it’s confusing

check your reading comprehension before you jump down my throat. Charlotte WATER was fine. There is absolutely no need for anyone to make this massive raid on water unless they are on a well.

Here's a hint, kid...you don't know everything. The sooner you learn that, the better off you'll be.

check your reading comprehension before you jump down my throat. Charlotte WATER was fine. There is absolutely no need for anyone to make this massive raid on water unless they are on a well.

Here's a hint, kid...you don't know everything. The sooner you learn that, the better off you'll be.
I’m not the one making up a bunch of nonsense about how we shouldn’t take this storm seriously and Hugo wasn’t so bad. It’s funny you try to say I know everything yet you’re so sure of yourself the storm won’t be so bad, maybe you should take a good look in the mirror. It’s obvious you can’t see your own blantant ignorance. You seem to be the type that wouldn’t take a storm seriously and then turn around and whine about how EM officials couldn’t save you in the middle of the storm from your own stupid decisions. You win the Darwin Award for the day.

Last edited:
Please quote where I said I'm not taking the storm seriously, or said it won't be so bad. I specifically said there is no need for every idiot out there to go stock up on cases of water because the city water system will handle this just fine (hint, this coming directly from friends that work for Charlotte utilities)

You're a smart dude, but your mouth and condescending attitude are going to limit how far you go in life.

Please quote where I said I'm not taking the storm seriously, or said it won't be so bad. I specifically said there is no need for every idiot out there to go stock up on cases of water because the city water system will handle this just fine (hint, this coming directly from friends that work for Charlotte utilities)

You're a smart dude, but your mouth and condescending attitude are going to limit how far you go in life.
You’re assuming the city water won’t be so bad based on one very localized anomalous experience in one completely different storm, and thus are trying not to take it seriously in this regard, again this is pretty incompetent. There’s still a legitimate chance you could run out water, it’s your own fault if you don’t have any. You don’t think you were condescending a second ago? Pot meet kettle.

Not gonna sit here and argue with a child. I'm perfectly ok with listening to friends with far more knowledge than you or I have about what the Charlotte water system can and cannot handle. I learned long ago that I don't know everything about everything...you really should try it. (If you have extensive knowledge of the Charlotte water system and it's capabilities, please accept my apologies).

As far as me being condescending? You get what you give.

Back