• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern The Great December Dump

That depends on location. December 2017 was epic for parts of the deep south and mountains of NC, but absolutely sucked for those south and east of I-85. December 2018 had snowfall farther east into NC, but absolutely sucked for the deep south. Aside from the early month winter storms, temperatures were generally above-normal with no frozen precipitation. The last time we had a truly good December was 2010.
By epic i meant the last 2 Decembers someone in the southeast experienced a major winter storm. I think most on here care more about snow than temps. Having a warm December is fine with most as long as theres some snow thrown in too.

It’s weird seeing the GEFS not as bullish nomore and not spitting nothing much nomore because at H5 it’s improved early in the game for the past 2 daysEE5BADAE-910F-4EF6-88A8-1D4E0418AAEA.gif

Yea obviously still not great but better. Digging the shortwave more or amplifying it are a few ways we can slow the entire thing down and give us a solution that tends towards Miller B instead of a piss-poor anafront w/ cold air chasing moisture & having the cold high failing to build in time.

View attachment 27250
Did the snow mean increased from previous run?

There are other factors at play not just that energy .. multiple things can happen in a model to produce something for us so you have to let the models play out before judging

No way we’re getting a winter storm with that H5 look, no seperation means it’s sheared, yea there’s many other factors but the big main thing you want is seperation, otherwise you getting a sheared mess that produces light overruning or a anafront which does not favor areas east of the mountains

A big phase that far south is really rare...like March 1993 rare. You're likely gonna need a LP system that is around 980mb or so in the Carolinas for it to bring enough cold air for the comma head snows on the backside. I just wouldn't bank on a system like that.

Not really. You really do not need a super powerful low to get snow from a phaser.

Back