• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern The Great December Dump

Even if just half of the places on the map receives that accumulation, it will help the cold air advection in the SE.
Until the Nina torch kicks in and warms the entire North American continent up into the 70s (with the exception of Mexico which, of course, will receive abundant snowfall, as usual).

Just incredible how it keeps unfolding like that for that 6th - 10th December time period consistently. I’m betting we will begin to see a storm signal pop up more and more in the coming days for that period.
I'm betting as well, my confidence is increasing that there could be a winter storm that time frame (possibly earlier) snow or an ice storm, or a mixture of both with one system.

Looks like the NE might see the 1st true snowy Nor Easter. That looks impressive at the end of the run on TT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wxwatch, is this a southern slider pattern moving forward?

all Depends on the position of that Canada/gl vortex, the farther south, the lower/more suppressed storm track, and the more north the Vortex is, that increases the chance of a miller B setup, unfortunately it’s most likely either sheared n suppressed crap or a miller B setup, but it doesn’t look bad for overrunning either

This feature is very interesting and I have never seen anything like this. A upper level low veers and comes on the back side of a storm system that's on the Northeastern coast. The core of the upper level low is very cold, a minimum of 516/522 thickness value. 850 temps low as -15c (5f)

With 850mb temps being that cold, there would be snow growth. So, this ULL can bring flurries and snow showers for a good portion of the southeastern states. If there would be an increase of moisture associated with this ULL, this thing would bring considerable amounts of snow. Right now, the GFS is showing that the moisture would be minimal with this ULL feature. I'm not sure why the moisture content is minimal, perhaps it's due to the very dry air that would be in place.
21f5d056e9a6bf921410d17885a6894f.gif
2330a51e88ddff23369fa3443450a1fa.jpg

Last edited:
This feature is very interesting and I have never seen anything like this. A upper level low veers and comes on the back side of a storm system on that's on the Northeastern coast. The core of the upper level low is very cold, a minimum of 516/522 thickness value. 850 temps low as -15c (5f)

With 850mb temps being that cold, there would be snow growth. So, this ULL can bring flurries and snow showers for a good portion of the southeastern states. If there would be an increase of moisture associated with this ULL, this thing would bring considerable amounts of snow. Right now, the GFS is showing that the moisture would be minimal with this ULL feature. I'm not sure why the moisture content is minimal, perhaps it's due to the very dry air that would be in place.
21f5d056e9a6bf921410d17885a6894f.gif
2330a51e88ddff23369fa3443450a1fa.jpg
I'm guessing you won't see anything like this outside of model fantasyland.

Wxwatch, is this a southern slider pattern moving forward?
No, the upcoming pattern in early December will not be favorable for southern sliders. If we take a look at the EPS from today, the -EPO and -NAO is still there, and now looks like there could be a neutral/slight positive PNA. This pattern would suggest clippers, Miller-A track storm systems. It would be difficult for a southern slider storm system to develop due to the ridging over Mexico and up into Arizona and New Mexico. ecmwf-ens_z500a_namer_11.png

No, the upcoming pattern in early December will not be favorable for southern sliders. If we take a look at the EPS from today, the -EPO and -NAO is still there, and now looks like there could be a neutral/slight positive PNA. This pattern would suggest clippers, Miller-A track storm systems. It would be difficult for a southern slider storm system to develop due to the ridging over Mexico and up into Arizona and New Mexico. View attachment 26405
Thanks. It is a 240hr map so alot can still change imo. I am in Arkansas btw.

Yes, that ULL feature is a good ways out, 9-10 days out. I was just pointing out that it was interesting and maybe it's something to watch out for. Come on, be positive!
Wxwatch, we in the south, so we always apprehensive when it comes to cold weather and snow chances.??‍♂️

Back