• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern The Great December Dump

Shane, do you think that this will be a major ice storm for Central NC?

Trick is to add 15-20 degrees on Gfs pass Day 10 which is still below normal.
Yeah the good thing is we don’t need -30f anoms to get snow in December
It’s pointless to watch the OP runs 12z vs 06z

128116ff5e8973f9dcbe178946e786d5.png
a1d39c8c5d116f7ba86db8b582bca01e.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i was just about to post this. Parts of SE Canada are almost 50 degrees warmer than 6 hours ago ?

Nice plunge of arctic here again day 8-9. Also has a reinforcing cold shot you see here coming down from Canada. Those back to back cold shots always pique my interest and can dig up storms. Need the trough further west and could be on to something.1574530076592.png

It’s pointless to watch the OP runs 12z vs 06z

128116ff5e8973f9dcbe178946e786d5.png
a1d39c8c5d116f7ba86db8b582bca01e.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

However, the good news is that the much less unreliable 11-15 12Z GEFS (vs the GFS op) retains its much colder than normal 2m temps. The 0Z EPS 11-15 is also colder than normal though not MB. My best guess? B but not MB. MB could still occur but is a riskier bet due to cold b.....never mind.....for a reason I won't get into now but also getting MB averaged out over a 5 day period is much less common than B per history. Getting a 5 day period averaging B with a couple of days of MB within is more common. Beside, the EPS has been the gold standard of late. If the EPS were to show MB, I'd likely go with MB.

This looks like a snowfall map in the heart of winter not first week of Dec

View attachment 26376
View attachment 26377
One has to admit all that snow cover in the norther US and Canada is really going to help any cold air masses make there way down as far as possible and as easy as possible .. would help for our wintry mix

If you adjust the anomalies for increasing dispersion w/ range, the 12z EPS suggests the 12z ECMWF was not an outlier in showing a massive cold shot ~day 10.
download - 2019-11-23T152030.399.png

Not to mention we once again see evidence of a very strong subtropical jet axis crashing into southern California as was the case w/ the GEFS.

All we can say at this point is we might find ourselves with a few of the very basic ingredients to produce wintry weather in the SE US in early Dec... for the 3rd year in a row potentially.
download - 2019-11-23T152211.191.png

If you adjust the anomalies for increasing dispersion w/ range, the 12z EPS suggests the 12z ECMWF was not an outlier in showing a massive cold shot ~day 10.
View attachment 26397

Not to mention we once again see evidence of a very strong subtropical jet axis crashing into southern California as was the case w/ the GEFS.

All we can say at this point is we might find ourselves with a few of the very basic ingredients to produce wintry weather in the SE US in early Dec... for the 3rd year in a row potentially.
View attachment 26398
Webb,
All things truly considered, do we really want history to repeat itself? :oops:
Phil

PS - I'd rather you be playing driveway hockey in January ... ;) ... which is where my money is ... :eek:

View attachment 26397

View attachment 26398
Just incredible how it keeps unfolding like that for that 6th - 10th December time period consistently. I’m betting we will begin to see a storm signal pop up more and more in the coming days for that period.

Just incredible how it keeps unfolding like that for that 6th - 10th December time period consistently. I’m betting we will begin to see a storm signal pop up more and more in the coming days for that period.

Now if only it was Columbia & Charlotte's turn to get hammered this time...

Back