• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern The Great December Dump

It looks good but the issue will be if it’s cold enough to see snow and not cold rain. Looks like cold rain at this point. I also saw on TT the SW flow out of the GOM on the backside which brings up the temperature as the moisture moves in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! We're too far south for snow in either of those, but I'd take either pattern over some of our famous December patterns of late.
You could make a case on either plot that if something got timed right we could get something. Setup gives me the decaying cold air mass before a storm, snow to mix to rain vibes if the timing is perfect. I'm more impressed by the eps with highs in the 40s starting 12/3 through the end of the run.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

You could make a case on either plot that if something got timed right we could get something. Setup gives me the decaying cold air mass before a storm, snow to mix to rain vibes if the timing is perfect. I'm more impressed by the eps with highs in the 40s starting 12/3 through the end of the run.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Definitely agree here. In the heart of winter, I'd probably feel more bullish, if we were staring down the barrel of that pattern, although the window would still probably be rather narrow for an all-frozen event, as cold shots would likely be transient. I feel like we will get into a couple of stable regimes this winter where blocking sets up so that cold air delivery will be a bit more stable, as highs to the north slow their rapid trek east. That, coupled with bouts of an active STJ should provide a few legit board-wide opportunities.

Looks like the overdone November blast
Probably will be. I remember hearing about a cold bias with that model? Jk! But yeah, it's likely pressing too far here. Hopefully, the general pattern is correct. If that's the case, we should be below normal.

Definitely agree here. In the heart of winter, I'd probably feel more bullish, if we were staring down the barrel of that pattern, although the window would still probably be rather narrow for an all-frozen event, as cold shots would likely be transient. I feel like we will get into a couple of stable regimes this winter where blocking sets up so that cold air delivery will be a bit more stable, as highs to the north slow their rapid trek east. That, coupled with bouts of an active STJ should provide a few legit board-wide opportunities.
Also and correct me if I’m wrong, that type of pattern would surely help build snowpack in the Ohio Valley and Northeast which would only be better for solidifying cold air masses the further we go into December and into January. It just seems that we’ve gone into the last few Januarys with virtually no snowpack south of northern New England and the Great Lakes and it’s caused a number of cold shots to be way too modified to help us out

Also and correct me if I’m wrong, that type of pattern would surely help build snowpack in the Ohio Valley and Northeast which would only be better for solidifying cold air masses the further we go into December and into January. It just seems that we’ve gone into the last few Januarys with virtually no snowpack south of northern New England and the Great Lakes and it’s caused a number of cold shots to be way too modified to help us out

Yeap you don’t need an extreme dump with a good snowpack for it to make it as far south.

It’s pointless to watch the OP runs 12z vs 06z

128116ff5e8973f9dcbe178946e786d5.png
a1d39c8c5d116f7ba86db8b582bca01e.png

Back