• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Severe Severe weather threat April 17-19

New update from the SPC seems to be moving east in Alabama.
day2probotlk_1730_any.gif

Just like the last few setups, the warm sector in this storm will be unstable and largely uncapped which favors merges and a hot mess w/ crapvection eating up CAPE before the primary forcing arrive. Aside from vbv showing up in some CAMs just above 1km (which is suggested to have a bigger impact than vbv well above 3km), there's certainly several other wrinkles in this forecast that may easily preclude much in the way of discrete, supercelluar modes &/or tornadoes here in NC. Straight line wind damage is likely going to steal the show here anyway

At this point I’d take it, bring on the VBV, I don’t want any chance at tornadoes, it looks like eastern NC has a better shot at more discrete convection and a better chance at more insulation owing to more CAPE

Just like the last few setups, the warm sector in this storm will be unstable and largely uncapped which favors merges and a hot mess w/ crapvection eating up CAPE before the primary forcing arrive. Aside from vbv showing up in some CAMs just above 1km (which is suggested to have a bigger impact than vbv well above 3km), there's certainly several other wrinkles in this forecast that may easily preclude much in the way of discrete, supercelluar modes &/or tornadoes here in NC. Straight line wind damage is likely going to steal the show here anyway

cloudy in Dallas. HRRR moves the lone supercell west instead of over the metro, but spawns another one to our SE. Not going to chase given both are a drive.

Yeah I'm not too impressed here either

Cap still looks pretty strong on the 18z sounding too

Still a ripe environment if a storm can isolate itself though. But after the last event i see what you mean.

Yeah, also lapse rates look very poor with this event, although this sounding shows not much of any VBV, some models do show VBV for parts of areas in the hatched part of the risk tommorow, with no CAP, this argues for very messy storm modes and then congealing into a lower topped QLCS capable of a few tornadoes, I don’t think much tornadoes tommorow, but a few tornadoes seem possible, and that small outside chance of a stronger one, especially with some wind from the SE at the SFC, the curvature on this hodo tho is pretty impressive, back to the STP argument I think EHI 1KM is better 25BC08BA-3605-4BDE-B276-B4F17C63A7C2.png

Yeah, also lapse rates look very poor with this event, although this sounding shows not much of any VBV, some models do show VBV for parts of areas in the hatched part of the risk tommorow, with no CAP, this argues for very messy storm modes and then congealing into a lower topped QLCS capable of a few tornadoes, I don’t think much tornadoes tommorow, but a few tornadoes seem possible, and that small outside chance of a stronger one, especially with some wind from the SE at the SFC, the curvature on this hodo tho is pretty impressive, back to the STP argument I
Yeah, also lapse rates look very poor with this event, although this sounding shows not much of any VBV, some models do show VBV for parts of areas in the hatched part of the risk tommorow, with no CAP, this argues for very messy storm modes and then congealing into a lower topped QLCS capable of a few tornadoes, I don’t think much tornadoes tommorow, but a few tornadoes seem possible, and that small outside chance of a stronger one, especially with some wind from the SE at the SFC, the curvature on this hodo tho is pretty impressive, back to the STP argument I think EHI 1KM is better View attachment 19124
Looks to be more of a damaging wind threat tomorrow. Ehi at 1km for determining the potential of strong tornadoes?

This is the strongest run yet of the 12km NAM for the LLJ over Eastern NC. This sounding near Jacksonville, NC is showing 70kt winds only 1,000 feet above the surface as a squall line moves through.

1555533410755.png

I really dont know how to feel about this event. I have been pretty skeptical of it doing much of anything besides wind threat, but then seeing the long range HRRR makes you think twice. I'm still very skeptical, but would still recommend to be weather aware.

I see early morning convection turning this thing into a mess for the areas tomorrow. I havent really payed attention for the Carolinas.

Wbrc fox 6 in birmingham have damaging winds at the highest threat level they can go for tommorow. ?

NWS of Bham says any uptick in instability will ramp up tornado potential. In there new discussion.
Screenshot_20190417-184128_Samsung Internet.jpg

Back