• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Severe Severe Weather February 16th -18 2022

15z rap has lapse rates pretty high
this system has speeded up a bit as well it looks like lr75.conus.png

Just my opinion here. But I think we may actually see a substantial risk for a few longer track supercells, maybe tornadoes. Some of the limiting factors look like there are starting to turn around. There may even be breaks in the clouds during the day as well. Even if it is just around 1000-1500j it's still a good bit for a winter event. Although with the amount of shear you'd probably rather see 3000+. Temps look like they could reach near 70 and dewpoint not far behind. Hm. Really itching at the bit to see 18z convection models. That north Alabama / north Mississippi looks to be pretty volatile. I'd like to do a more detailed look later when I get home. But all hands should be on deck for a decent threat. I really think this could boom.

That is 700mb to 500mb, the issue is the surface to 700mb.
? I've always seen comments on the 700mb- 500mb mattering. I think from the 15z rap it was around 6.0 for surface up. which isn't great but isn't the worst. 18z hrrr coming out along with other models. Peek at what those show.

? I've always seen comments on the 700mb- 500mb mattering. I think from the 15z rap it was around 6.0 for surface up. which isn't great but isn't the worst. 18z hrrr coming out along with other models. Peek at what those show.
pretty ugly area of warmth aloft esp at 700mb, with limited low level instability BCFA9433-3FD7-4C4A-8E56-2BA15E698FF3.png

The GFS has low level lapse rates of 6.2-6.3 in some areas but cape and 0-3km cape is very low.

pretty ugly area of warmth aloft esp at 700mb, with limited low level instability View attachment 113608
Wouldn't temps getting around in the high 60s low 70s be able to overcome that. Yeah that limited low level cape will limit tornado formation a good bit. Although I'd wait until HRRR came into range. I'd trust it most on forecasting the low level instability. Also peak those lapse rates fro above the surface to 3km. Theyve come up a good bit. ?

The GFS has low level lapse rates of 6.2-6.3 in some areas but cape and 0-3km cape is very low.
I'm going to wait until the HRRR gets in range. 18z comes out, see what it says on the low level instability and low level lapse rates. 18z should start rolling out here soon. I'f we get breaks in the clouds and sunshine. Those low level lapse rates are going to go up.

18z model only goes out to 12 o'clock Thursday with temps in the low 70s already. Very well may reach 75 in portions of Alabama and upper 60s dewpoint possibly. With a wide warm sector.

Huntsville afternoon AFD on this event

A risk for strong to severe storms continues, especially for our
more western areas. The main threats appear to be damaging winds.
Very high shear preceding the system, and somewhat higher model
produced instability keeps a tornado threat in as well. Am thinking
that a Quasi-Linear Convective System feature/squall line will bring
a higher severe threat. Models were trending more to a latter squall
line/frontal passage occurring more on Thu evening. High temperatures
on Thu, especially if more sun breaks through could rise to around 70
in a few spots (which could enhance the severe risk). Winds ahead of
the system especially Wed night into Thu evening could get breezy to
windy, with gusts over 35 mph possible Thu/Thu night. A Wind Advisory
may be needed if this trend continues.

Back