• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Severe Severe Weather February 16th -18 2022

Messy, lots of elevated convection with lots of 850mb WAA and nil T/D spreads signaling cloud cover/stratiform and elevated thunderstorms with piss poor mid/low level lapse rates, and the area south of the boundary that has 1-2 storms that take advantage of the streamwise vorticity near the boundary and become cyclic. Basically your average cool season setup View attachment 113392View attachment 113393View attachment 113394View attachment 113395
A lot of those things will be determined by mesoscale models/features. Your overlooking the broad picture setup wise. The GFS is catching up to the increase in thermodynamics out west on the day 5 period like I mentioned earlier. Thermodynamics will rise as we get closer.

A lot of those things will be determined by mesoscale models/features. Your overlooking the broad picture setup wise. The GFS is catching up to the increase in thermodynamics out west on the day 5 period like I mentioned earlier. Thermodynamics will rise as we get closer.
This synoptic scale pattern isn’t really as favorable for AL/eastern MS and just areas further east in general, it’s not just about CAPE and wind shear
Notice this is favorable for the western areas (LA/AR)
39837778-41B3-4775-9B0E-A20122B1838C.png
Then the main S/W washes out which would mean unraveling forcing/wind shear and wind parameters becoming QLCS heavy ahead of the front in AL/eastern miss/GA, I’m looking at the whole picture here
931FEA57-98AC-46A4-9427-370F46A45721.png

Still don't agree with your idea lol l, you'd have to convince me more. Shear and instability arent the only thing to weather but it's apart of the three main ingredients for sever weather shear/lift/instability. We've had many tornado outbreaks with lows being as far away as Nebraska. Still think there's considerable threat for a possible tornado outbreak.
And most of the south's tornado outbreaks are on days of messy convective modes

BTW fro. No disrespect in my talking here, I generally go off of patterns and past events history which are just important as book knowledge imo. I see where your coming from. I'm just looking ahead to likely changes things I see possibly happening. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Still don't agree with your idea lol l, you'd have to convince me more. Shear and instability arent the only thing to weather but it's apart of the three main ingredients for sever weather shear/lift/instability. We've had many tornado outbreaks with lows being as far away as Nebraska. Still think there's considerable threat for a possible tornado outbreak.
And most of the south's tornado outbreaks are on days of messy convective modes
Way way to early look at messy storm mode this far out … which doubt with large warm sector may be bit messy around the frontal boundary north

Checked the CMC for funnies. And it's exactly the same as the GFS and EURO. But more pronounced on a dry line. Can't believe global models are locking down so consistently already. This has potential for a pretty high end day. Models usually lockdown pretty well on high end events from a decent ways out. Shear is out of the roof on this one. Which may be a downfall if there's not enough substance in the way of instability. But there's no way that global models are correct right now on instability. If history tells me right a big jump on in CAPE will come. @Arcc what do you think on this event, fellow alabamian.
Honestly due to a big event that happened this week, it’s been nothing but a blur and I have barely looked at anything.

Honestly due to a big event that happened this week, it’s been nothing but a blur and I have barely looked at anything.
Here’s a summary. Looks like a classic/seasonable cool season event, nothing out the ordinary and nothing to crazy per models, but something that can still cause issues as they have in the past

Nice write-up from Memphis. Sounds like they believe instability levels will change as the event draws closer.

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Memphis TN
350 PM CST Fri Feb 11 2022

.DISCUSSION...
A cold front will move through the forecast area tonight bringing
a chance for a few showers. It should be too warm and moisture
starved for snow so have removed the mention of snow this
issuance. The confidence is low so have elected to remove it.
Temperatures will be noticeably cooler Saturday we will struggle
to get to 40 degrees for a lot of the area. Cold temperatures will
be the main story this weekend, as lows drop back into the low to
mid 20s for Sunday morning. High pressure starts over the area
early next week as temperatures will modify back into the 50s.
Southwest flow will kick in by mid week as a warmer and more moist
air filters into the Mid South. Guidance still points to a fairly
strong system impacting the forecast area on Thursday. So much so
that the Storm Prediction Center highlights the entire area in a
15 percent risk for severe weather for day 7. This is the
equivalent of a slight risk. This has definitely peaked interest.
We will have to monitor this situation for the next several days
as details become more clear. As of now the main limiting factor
looks to be instability, but this will absolutely change over the
next several days.

Nice write-up from Memphis. Sounds like they believe instability levels will change as the event draws closer.

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Memphis TN
350 PM CST Fri Feb 11 2022

.DISCUSSION...
A cold front will move through the forecast area tonight bringing
a chance for a few showers. It should be too warm and moisture
starved for snow so have removed the mention of snow this
issuance. The confidence is low so have elected to remove it.
Temperatures will be noticeably cooler Saturday we will struggle
to get to 40 degrees for a lot of the area. Cold temperatures will
be the main story this weekend, as lows drop back into the low to
mid 20s for Sunday morning. High pressure starts over the area
early next week as temperatures will modify back into the 50s.
Southwest flow will kick in by mid week as a warmer and more moist
air filters into the Mid South. Guidance still points to a fairly
strong system impacting the forecast area on Thursday. So much so
that the Storm Prediction Center highlights the entire area in a
15 percent risk for severe weather for day 7. This is the
equivalent of a slight risk. This has definitely peaked interest.
We will have to monitor this situation for the next several days
as details become more clear. As of now the main limiting factor
looks to be instability, but this will absolutely change over the
next several days.
They will increase, you'll have a decent bit of instability into Kentucky and probably north Arkansas depending how far south the low travels. I'm begging to think there may be convection that blows up a good bit ahead of the main bunch, that is reliant on how fast the warm sector sets up really. 18z GFS moved north with more instability and higher instability again. Continuing the trend I mentioned that will occur, already pushing near 1000j of cape in splotches just below of Birmingham.

Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama have a lot of upside in terms of instability potential. My hunch is Thermodynamics are being under modeled a decent bit. Just off of face value it's evident. Really cloud cover won't be crucial to instability, as a LLJ pumps moisture up into the deep south. Although sunlight will more and likely help instability and the lapse rates, so any cloud breaks would be pretty bad for the overall setup.

Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama have a lot of upside in terms of instability potential. My hunch is Thermodynamics are being under modeled a decent bit. Just off of face value it's evident. Really cloud cover won't be crucial to instability, as a LLJ pumps moisture up into the deep south. Although sunlight will more and likely help instability and the lapse rates, so any cloud breaks would be pretty bad for the overall setup.
Cloud cover is very very important in regards to severe weather. Unless dynamics are perfect (which they aren’t) the more sun the better (if you like severe weather)

Cloud cover is very very important in regards to severe weather. Unless dynamics are perfect (which they aren’t) the more sun the better (if you like severe weather)
A strong LLJ is more than enough a lot of times. 4/28/14 and 1/28/12 for example. But sunshine would be worse. Lapse rates are the biggest question as of now. Many times a LLJ can usher in unstable air very quickly. With this event you got a screaming LLJ in place for a day or two. Imstability is likely underdone a good bit.

Risk area adjusted eastward. Continued trend with the GFS on more moisture pulling northward. Also a bit better wind profiles for discreet convection.day6prob.gif

Taking a peak at a sounding over central Mississippi near the state line of Alabama. Starting to see a EML be showcased. gfs_2022021206_126_33.25--89.5.pngeven more so of a EML in south Mississippi. Almost a loaded gun, just the instability hasn't caught up yet and the lapse rates aren't the best which it will more and likely go up a bit as we get closer. gfs_2022021206_126_31.25--90.0.png

Risk area adjusted eastward. Continued trend with the GFS on more moisture pulling northward. Also a bit better wind profiles for discreet convection.View attachment 113425
Had a feeling this would happen they usually start conservative and fine tune each day leading up to the event

Back