• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Severe Severe Weather February 16th -18 2022

Taking a peak at a sounding over central Mississippi near the state line of Alabama. Starting to see a EML be showcased. View attachment 113428even more so of a EML in south Mississippi. Almost a loaded gun, just the instability hasn't caught up yet and the lapse rates aren't the best which it will more and likely go up a bit as we get closer. View attachment 113429
Wind fields look good there, but the thing that pops out to me is the very warm layer from 850 to 700mbs. Gonna absolutely need sunshine and higher surface temps to overcome that. Otherwise low toped, struggling showers will be the rule for most of the day.

Wind fields look good there, but the thing that pops out to me is the very warm layer from 850 to 700mbs. Gonna absolutely need sunshine and higher surface temps to overcome that. Otherwise low toped, struggling showers will be the rule for most of the day.
The screaming LLJ might be able to overcome that. But then again may not. Globals show overcast but we won't really know if there will be breaks or not till mesoscale models. I'm betting on the LLJ right now. It's absolutely going to be roaring.

The screaming LLJ might be able to overcome that. But then again may not. Globals show overcast but we won't really know if there will be breaks or not till mesoscale models. I'm betting on the LLJ right now. It's absolutely going to be roaring.
yeah the lower level jet will help clear out things for sure whats being modeled is correct, its going be very strong

yeah the lower level jet will help clear out things for sure whats being modeled is correct, its going be very strong
I don't think it will clear cloud cover our, more so advect warmer air and increase the temperature to bust the cap. Not 100% sure but. The outbreak over the south on 4/28/14. Was aided by a low level jet. There was nothing in the way of sunlight. People in the south underestimate the effect of a strong LLJ sometimes.

Some serious diffluence in the Tennessee valley. Not sure if that will really do much because lack of instability that close to the low pressure, rather have both streams phased and it be on the southeast of the jet for any real implications. Waiting for the 12z GFS to roll on out.Screenshot_20220212-092456-598.pnggfs_z500a_us_22.pnggfs_mslp_uv850_us_22.png

Last post before 12z rolls out lol.
Looks like we will probably need to get in the upper 60s low 70s temp wise for a real cap buster. Projected temps are mid 60s as of now. Think mid 60s is a bit underdone though.

This is actually what I have been seeing consistently popping up, soundings lacking sfc heating and warmer air aloft which would likely create faildrafts due to garbage low level lapse rates. Low level jet itself in these sort of grunge setups is actually responsible for low level cloud cover/showers and grunge due to the warm air aloft it brings. which WAA itself is a forcing agent itself. Sure kinematic factors for something notable but lots of thermodynamic factors for just a run of the mill wintertime severe event

GFS even trying to get some QLCS action into the Carolinas, low level lapse rates are actually somewhat decent as well (above 6.5C) 6C16422B-C328-48BF-BEC7-5DFCD702CE1C.png4BDB0C00-0D05-4D7C-9469-4857B118C4E5.png2927D2CF-8782-4AC0-89EC-5396B83ED09C.png

All I’m saying is, this isn’t screaming a mega tornado outbreak or Super Tuesday outbreak or a big one in general like I have been seeing hyped, esp on Twitter. but more so your classic wintertime setup that brings 1 or so strong tornadoes which form along a boundary and several weaker ones

All I’m saying is, this isn’t screaming a mega tornado outbreak or Super Tuesday outbreak or a big one in general like I have been seeing hyped, esp on Twitter. but more so your classic wintertime setup that brings 1 or so strong tornadoes which form along a boundary and several weaker ones
Agree fully with this sentiment lol. I don't think we expect it to be a mega outbreak here or a copy of super Tuesday lol. When I see you saying a classic wintertime setup I consider solely a qcls spin up event. Which is what you usually see. But this event is not exactly like that. WAA can make for a sizeable event. 4/28/14 for example but In this event we're a tad closer to the low pressure this go around. With other factors. And lapse rates have ticked up for the severe weather timeframe in MS/AL. I see this event having a considerable upside, which I'f things go a certain way there may be a few devastating storms.

Reed timmer talked about this an hour ago. He said the current trends have it shear out the more northeast it goes which would dampen the severe threat for Thursday but Wednesday confidence is increasing.

Reed timmer talked about this an hour ago. He said the current trends have it shear out the more northeast it goes which would dampen the severe threat for Thursday but Wednesday confidence is increasing.
Still a good ensemble mix on how long is maintains being amped before it ejects and timing differences. Also timmer says we will probably see a tornado outbreak anyways lol. But idk ?. Don't need a perfect setup for a dangerous outbreak here. Any storm that produces a tornado is significant to me because it poses a risk to life and damage. Just a few tornadoes is enough to seem like a tornado outbreak to nearby residents.

If the system comes through at night, that should lessen the severe threat somewhat, due to loss of heating! This looks nothing like super outbreak kind of stuff

If the system comes through at night, that should lessen the severe threat somewhat, due to loss of heating! This looks nothing like super outbreak kind of stuff
Not necessarily... Nocturnal LLJs can actually cause increased boom potential at times because they can actually ramp up significantly... Especially between 1am and 5am...

I can recall several overnight events where a HSLC (high shear low cape) environment started producing increased SVR in these time frames.
One huge standout was the Strong Raleigh, NC tornado that hit in the early morning hours I think back in Nov 1992 as an example.

Man, the 12z euro throws a kink into things ?. Don't know how to feel about it lol

Back