• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Severe weather 2020

Maybe it is just me, but it feels like the tornadoes have decreased in the midwest and the famous tornado alley, and more and more have hit the southeast in the last 20 years.

Eh, I don’t know. The south has always had deadly tornadoes, the problem is population growth in the south compared to the plains is probably a bit higher. Add in better radar and a ton more spotters and you probably just have more proof of what has always been the case or just rarely covered by the national media.

Last edited:
Deadlier due to tornadoes moving into more concentrated area's of people when the alley moves east. Out in the dust bowl, it seems like there are places you could go hours and not see another home/person.

yup... I've been to Kansas its nothing but fields for miles. I think that plays more of a role than it shifting east, the deadlier tornadoes always get more coverage

Looks like Augusta will be under the gun later today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel like tornadoes are much harder to see in the South than the Plains and with better detection and more people trained with easy damage reporting the numbers of confirmed tornadoes have risen.

very good point, its much easier to see them out here vs when I lived in Alabama

it seems like there's more tornadoes at night over there too vs here

I don't exactly believe in the whole tornadoes are getting worse or more frequent idea.

I think that the world is overpopulated, and technology has allowed us to more accurately detect/find tornadoes. Like, of course tornadoes affect more people now. Does that make them worse? Or does that just expose an increasing population. Same with the number of tornadoes. There's more people to observe them and radar now.

From 1925, would that family of monster tornadoes be "deemed worse" now? Most likely because it affects many more people.

I don't exactly believe in the whole tornadoes are getting worse or more frequent idea.

I think that the world is overpopulated, and technology has allowed us to more accurately detect/find tornadoes. Like, of course tornadoes affect more people now. Does that make them worse? Or does that just expose an increasing population. Same with the number of tornadoes. There's more people to observe them and radar now.

From 1925, would that family of monster tornadoes be "deemed worse" now? Most likely because it affects many more people.

yup just look at the last decade and how much more technology there is... not just chasers but everyone has a camera now lol

we would never see tornadoes when I was a kid unless it just happened to be in the right spot of a city like Tuscaloosa 2000. Otherwise it was all guess work

For the NC peeps there is this map which shows were Carolina Alley is.....there is also a hot spot near the Triad and Charlotte would be interesting to see if there is anything micro climate wise for that....

small_allen_nc_tornado_density.png

This was interesting as well

alley.jpg

Last edited:
For the NC peeps there is this map which shows were Carolina Alley is.....there is also a hot spot near the Triad and Charlotte would be interesting to see if there is anything micro climate wise for that....

View attachment 36773

View attachment 36774

That Dothan/ enterprise area seem to see a lot.

View attachment 36773

View attachment 36774
I guess from convection that develops/strengthens as they move East of the mountains + lee trough forcing

I guess from convection that develops/strengthens as they move East of the mountains + lee trough forcing

You nailed it. For that reason, Charlotte and the Triad get overlooked as a severe weather hotspot, but we really are. Granted people assume we aren't as tornado-prone when in reality we really are. We just haven't been hit directly (or recently) as the 2008 Atlanta tornado or the 2011 Raleigh one.

You nailed it. For that reason, Charlotte and the Triad get overlooked as a severe weather hotspot, but we really are. Granted people assume we aren't as tornado-prone when in reality we really are. We just haven't been hit directly (or recently) as the 2008 Atlanta tornado or the 2011 Raleigh one.

Thankfully that 2008 Atlanta tornado was weak. I hate to think what a EF-3 would do to downtown Atlanta.

I'd go with EF4 for the Nashville tornado and I haven't even looked at much of the damage. As I said about the AL EF4 last year before the survey was finished, there is a line between EF3 and EF4 fatality wise. It's grim to point out, but there is a stark rise in average fatalities when it crosses that threshold.

Last edited:
I don't know how significant my vote is, but I for one will be glad when the SE ridge gets strong enough to shunt the severe weather away from us!

Back