• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Severe weather 2020

Myfrotho704_

Professional asshole
Reaction score
Since severe season should start picking up soon for Dixie alley, decided to make this thread to discuss any pattern/possible long range/medium range threat that appears, chiclets look active for March, where Dixie alley is favored for severe weather 1BD9638D-7475-45F3-A764-3D28DA892128.jpeg

Since severe season should start picking up soon for Dixie alley, decided to make this thread to discuss any pattern/possible long range/medium range threat that appears, chiclets look active for March, where Dixie alley is favored for severe weather View attachment 36187

A late winter push is the perfect ingredients for a active Dixie Alley severe season. She should start to crank up on the next few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A late winter push is the perfect ingredients for a active Dixie Alley severe season. She should start to crank up on the next few weeks.

c7f49e16407bf77dc85388bb4f9566b3.jpg

This will be a common look going forward I think.

Not really. A late winter push for the east generally means a +PNA.

Well what is the perfect set up for severe weather in Dixie Alley? I always thought that was it, the fight between cold and warm. Cold fronts moving south with warm gulf moisture running north.

Since severe season should start picking up soon for Dixie alley, decided to make this thread to discuss any pattern/possible long range/medium range threat that appears, chiclets look active for March, where Dixie alley is favored for severe weather View attachment 36187

The persistent Aleutian ridge has afforded us the first legit -PDO since 2012, coupled w/ the much warmer than average Gulf of Mexico, the low frequency pattern looks more conducive to tornadoes than normal.

1582384445433.png

Well what is the perfect set up for severe weather in Dixie Alley? I always thought that was it, the fight between cold and warm. Cold fronts moving south with warm gulf moisture running north.

The whole cold vs warm thing is very simplistic. To get the strong severe weather setups you need a persitiant SE ridge and a rather broad one at that to pump in moisture which would be the end of winter.

It is interesting to note that Dixie Alley appears to be expanding east. Obviously, a lot of regions east of the Rockies have their own individual tornado hotspots. I moved here from Atlanta in 2003 and remember the area I grew up in was known by the locals of "575" alley. Cobb and Cherokee Counties seemed to have more tornadoes than the rest of Atlanta. When I moved to the Southern Piedmont, locals said our area is more prone to tornadoes than a lot of the state. Then, of course, we have the well known Carolina Alley. I have a feeling that this whole board is in for a pretty significant severe weather season. I still wish other people who don't have a general awareness of the weather. I.e. people who think the mountains protect Charlotte from tornadoes or that we can't get big EF-3+ tornadoes here. I feel like we'll overdue.

Tornado season appears to be changing just like our winters. To me, it seems like they occur more frequent but are weaker. Growing up it seemed like every spring we could produce a violent tornado near Davie County NC but the past several years nada for areas south of Winston/Greensboro.

These are some nasty looks at H5, especially what the euro shows, this timeframe is starting to get my attention F58A55E2-7D59-4652-A91A-195A6517E1D4.png1E7C4D13-019A-467F-AF17-1324989DF62B.png295AA998-864E-486D-A461-19314F36231A.pngF8F89AB3-10D0-4F73-A771-97A3682E2C48.png

It’s worth noting that timeframe has been looking a bit ominous for quite a while, has not backed down, may be looking at a legit setup

The ICON is so far apart from the GFS, I'm not sure what to believe. I mean, REALLY far apart.

This tornado warning in southern KY... live coverage out of Nashville Channel 4 is horrible. I don't know who the met is, I'm sure he's a good dude, but he's pretty disinterested in what he is doing.

This tornado warning in southern KY... live coverage out of Nashville Channel 4 is horrible. I don't know who the met is, I'm sure he's a good dude, but he's pretty disinterested in what he is doing.

tornado has went thru Nashville. Watched live on Channel 5

Back