• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Severe Severe potential April 13th-15th Palm Sunday Weekend

Is this a situation that would spare much of GA from a dangerous SVR threat? I don’t see much of a wedge forming on any of these models that typically spares I-20 & points north from bad storms, but for some reason,they always seem to fizzle a bit once they cross into GA from the West.

Full Disclosure: I’m more of a WinterWX guy than a SVR one, so I’m normally quick to trash the NAM because...well, reasons.
Too early to tell. Spc has a risk area defined for Georgia 5 days out so that's never a good sign.

Is this a situation that would spare much of GA from a dangerous SVR threat? I don’t see much of a wedge forming on any of these models that typically spares I-20 & points north from bad storms, but for some reason,they always seem to fizzle a bit once they cross into GA from the West.

Full Disclosure: I’m more of a WinterWX guy than a SVR one, so I’m normally quick to trash the NAM because...well, reasons.

It depends on timing.

An early Sunday morning frontal passage would be the ideal scenario as far as reducing the risk, when daytime instability tends to be at its lowest.

Lets hope it doesn't verify then. Because thats a tornado outbreak look. ?

Sorry for the weenie-esque nature, but is it reasonable to assume that these parameters would A) precede a frontal passage and B) if the answer to A is true, would these parameters advect east as well?

Reason why GA might not get the worse weather and sometimes looses the stronger/rotating convection is becuase most of the time the trough goes into negative tilt around KY and rapidly lifts north, and there’s not strong enough blocking so the sfc low just ends up racing poleward along with the trough = we lose shear and some instability and just get multicellular convection/pulse convection or convective debris/weakening t-storms

Last edited:
Georgia will be getting into the action on Sunday, extent will be based on timing.
Doesn't sound bad yet for GA.

Day 4-8 Convective Outlook
NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
0344 AM CDT Wed Apr 10 2019

storms should continue to migrate eastward across Georgia and South
Carolina through D5/Sunday, though instability should be weaker with
eastward extent due to poor mid-level lapse rates.

GGEM slowed down the front even more. We end up getting smacked pretty good Sunday afternoon as a result.

That being said, the GFS sped things up a tad.

Yep, idk about CAPE parameters but the GGEM yo me looks like a trade off for more instability and less 0-6km shear, still is solid but slows down and has a weaker LW trough, still concerning, gfs is much stronger with the longwave trough so wind energy would likely be maxed out
221E5D3B-DFF2-469F-9D9A-7275F94E5521.jpeg0BF80A81-263A-4516-A1DE-81E305AC72B5.jpeg

Yep, idk about CAPE parameters but the GGEM yo me looks like a trade off for more instability and less 0-6km shear, still is solid but slows down and has a weaker LW trough, still concerning, gfs is much stronger with the longwave trough so wind energy would likely be maxed out
View attachment 18733View attachment 18734

I''d take that trade off.

Instability doesn't look that impressive for alabama overnight but dew points look to be in the mid to upper 60s so i imagine cape will be a little higher than the 500j the gfs shows.

I''d take that trade off.
I just now noticed I put yo me instead of to me, lol, and yeah it would be similar to that system that gave Alabama several weaker tornadoes in the middle of March, but would definitely increase the large hail threat

These soundings are extremely concerning, larger CAPE now and fairly saturated low levels likely mean Mesos scraping the ground combined with low LCLs, this is actually more concerning than the soundings I saw with outbreak that produced the lee county tornado, still it depends on early morning convection, how messy convection gets, cloud cover, but these soundings have EMLs with them, anyways these sounding support 2+ inch hail, 70mph winds and strong/long track tornadoes, we might possibly see a moderate risk if trends hold View attachment 18723View attachment 18724

Really depends on if things can stay discrete. With that meager EML, lack of cap and very strong SSW winds aloft almost parallel to the front I have my doubts.

In the past it seems to me areas far removed from where you would expect gets nailed by the early supercells in these types of setups. Id watch central MS early for the surprise.

Very true
Really depends on if things can stay discrete. With that meager EML, lack of cap and very strong SSW winds aloft almost parallel to the front I have my doubts.

In the past it seems to me areas far removed from where you would expect gets nailed by the early supercells in these types of setups. Id watch central MS early for the surprise.

Back