• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Scorchtember

Dry as a bone here and a week of above normal heat for September to come. From my area back west we could really benefit from some rain. Water tables are in great shape, soil is another story. Little wind ,30mph from Dorian created a healthy size mess of leaves for me to get up this weekend.

When it’s not raining here at my house you know the rest of the SE us ground is baking and cracking lol

A heat advisory has been issued for Atlanta's southern suburbs today.

Gotta love how the hottest days are always when I'm out of town, lol.

EDIT: 12z HRRR is forecasting a high of 101*F, which would make it the hottest day of the year.

Last edited:
Looks like a chance of storms around here today. Level 1 threat for severe storms for parts of NC and VA.

day1otlk_1300.gif

Was able to ride along the Blue Ridge Parkway from around Asheville to Cherokee on Saturday afternoon. Prior to hitting the Parkway, temps were as high as 96 (car thermometer) to as low as 64 in areas along the highest parts of the drive. So refreshing. Hated to come back to reality!

Was able to ride along the Blue Ridge Parkway from around Asheville to Cherokee on Saturday afternoon. Prior to hitting the Parkway, temps were as high as 96 (car thermometer) to as low as 64 in areas along the highest parts of the drive. So refreshing. Hated to come back to reality!
Any fall foliage at higher elevations?

Any fall foliage at higher elevations?

Actually, a hint of color at Graveyard Fields, which traditionally is one of the first areas to change. Of course, in some ways hard to discern with the heat and perhaps dry conditions that may lead to color. Otherwise, the other areas were still green, but with that late summer tinge. Still a few weeks away overall for real color, but at least it was good to see that it was close. Now we just need to get cooler weather to filter down.

Getting an isolated popup very heavy rain producing thunderstorm here with one CTG strike very nearby.

Edit: ended up with ~1.6"! Taking into account expected weekend rains, that almost definitely mean no more watering before winter.

Last edited:
98 in Atlanta. In my lifetime, I dont ever recall it being this hot this late in the year.

Holy Moses! Unless you're 65 or older, you haven't. Actually, it is even more impressive than that. Since records started back in 1879, the ENTIRE month of Sept. has had 98+ as KATL's hottest of the month in only 3 years: 1925 (8 days of 98+!!), 1941 (1 day of 99), and 1954 (2 days of 98). And by the way, don't forget that today's high may turn out even hotter than 98! So, if it gets to 99, you'd have to be 78 or older to have lived through the last time it was this hot there anytime in Sept!

But I just noticed that the dewpoints are pretty tolerable (high 50s meaning heat indices only of ~98) unlike down here in S GA, where it has been awful (low 70s) along with similar heat. In my area, heat indices were 109-110 at 3 PM before the cooling thunderstorm!

Last edited:
Holy Moses! Unless you're 65 or older, you haven't. Actually, it is even more impressive than that. Since records started back in 1879, the ENTIRE month of Sept. has had 98+ as KATL's hottest of the month in only 3 years: 1925 (8 days of 98+!!), 1941 (1 day of 99), and 1954 (2 days of 98). And by the way, don't forget that today's high may turn out even hotter than 98! So, if it gets to 99, you'd have to be 78 or older to have lived through the last time it was this hot there anytime in Sept!

But I just noticed that the dewpoints are pretty tolerable (high 50s meaning heat indices only of ~98) unlike down here in S GA, where it has been awful (low 70s) along with similar heat. In my area, heat indices were 109-110 at 3 PM before the cooling thunderstorm!
41 was a good winter, if I recall correctly!

41 was a good winter, if I recall correctly!

Yep, a big snow actually did occur in ATL and other SE locations 3/2/1942. That was during the waning after a moderate to weak El Nino.

... and none since ... ? ... amazing

... I recall them all well ... LOL ...

Back