• We've made some major changes to the website. You can view a short list : Here
  • Hello guests. Please take a minute to sign up and join in the conversation. It's free, quick, and easy!

Wintry Possible Snow & Ice Threat Nov 14-15 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Tarheel1 think we could get a few pingers at onset?
No. This is not our storm! Our time will come! I really hate winter storms that start as rain and you have to hope the wedge makes it here before the rain ends, if at all! We should be used to rainy winter storms by now!? Currently 42.8 degrees

View attachment 7434 Jimmy, guess we slept through our ice storm, or it never happened !????????
Not sure why wxsouth was showing sleet in a lot of the areas they were. The 3km NAM and soundings from other models indicated this would be mainly ZR in the mountains with some sleet/snow mixing in those areas but nothing nearly as far south/east as what wxsouth shows. The only model that showed what they did was the HRRR and it is notoriously bad with thermal profiles in winter weather events from what I've seen. I would call this a win for the 3km NAM and the FV3 GFS did remarkably well as did the Euro.

packfan98

Staff member
View attachment 7434 Jimmy, guess we slept through our ice storm, or it never happened !????????
Not sure why wxsouth was showing sleet in a lot of the areas they were. The 3km NAM and soundings from other models indicated this would be mainly ZR in the mountains with some sleet/snow mixing in those areas but nothing nearly as far south/east as what wxsouth shows. The only model that showed what they did was the HRRR and it is notoriously bad with thermal profiles in winter weather events from what I've seen. I would call this a win for the 3km NAM and the FV3 GFS did remarkably well as did the Euro.
There was a big push of cold air at 925 that could have caused sleet to mix in. Take a look:

I drove from near DT Greenville, SC to Gaffney this AM (leaving Greenville at 6:30am) - 2m air temp at my house was just above 37 - as I drove into Spartanburg county, the temp dropped to 34 with snow and sleet mix - arriving in Gaffney, it was all sleet and 34 degrees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)