• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Possible Snow & Ice Threat Nov 14-15

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn’t be surprised to see the mountains of Pickens Greenville and Oconee counties get a Freezing rain advisory. Just a guess obviously

So how much of the sounding needs to be below freezing for sleet? If this wedge holds stronger and all of it is ZR, it will be really ugly. Euro seemed a bit warmer but not much. But light precip continues all afternoon and evening so I am worried about major issues with 1.5 qpf.
upload_2018-11-13_19-29-13.png

So how much of the sounding needs to be below freezing for sleet? If this wedge holds stronger and all of it is ZR, it will be really ugly. Euro seemed a bit warmer but not much. But light precip continues all afternoon and evening so I am worried about major issues with 1.5 qpf.
View attachment 7372
That's a sleet sounding as shown..... Since the atmosphere is solidly below freezing from the surface to the 850 layer, and a pronounced warm nose above that, it will most likely be sleet. Especially, if temps can manage -4C to -5C somewhere within in that cold layer.

We better last year still haunts me we never got ours
You weren’t living in the big D, when they got like 12”, and were only supposed to get 1-2”?

Would it be wishcasting to say that parts of the Northern CLT metro area such as Davidson, Cornelius, Mooresville, etc. could get some glazing out of this briefly.

I doubt that north clt areas will get a glaze, bit we will probably see a brief period of sleet before it transitions to all rain due to dry air at around 875-925 mb before the onset

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181113-200215.png
    Screenshot_20181113-200215.png
    387.8 KB · Views: 23
I doubt that north clt areas will get a glaze, bit we will probably see a brief period of sleet before it transitions to all rain due to dry air at around 875-925 mb before the onset
You are probably right, but if the CAD ends up stronger than modeled with lower dewpoints I could see the Northern CLT suburbs getting brief freezing rain before changing over.

Yeah that 2 in. Strip going down MS/AL line is what the 12 and 18z gfs was trying to show as well
I figure places in western alabama will be added to the winter weather advisory in the morning. Also you hear the saying upper level lows bring weatherman woes. They tend to bring a few surprises with them also. So we will see. I hoping for a dusting where I am located. That would be a win for early in the season.

I figure places in western alabama will be added to the winter weather advisory in the morning. Also you hear the saying upper level lows bring weatherman woes. They tend to bring a few surprises with them also. So we will see. I hoping for a dusting where I am located. That would be a win for early in the season.
This is what I’m hoping for. Lived here since 2006 and still haven’t had that big surprise snow that wasn’t supposed to be. This type of event definitely gives the best chance for a surprise.

Best time of year !!!
ba931ae50c01374af2ade7eed41fd03e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You weren’t living in the big D, when they got like 12”, and were only supposed to get 1-2”?

Nope lived in Alabama til fall 2014 best winter in Dallas was the first one and its barely snowed since

Though 2014 is ironically the last time we had a cold snap like this in mid November so maybe thats a good sign

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back