• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that was him and his wife’s choice. Also the people at the restaurants choice to work. Some don’t live in fear and realize we are all going to be exposed to it eventually if not already.
I'm not afraid of the virus but I am afraid of people panicking over the economy and forcing things to open to fast. It's time to start thinking about a new economy that is centered around local growth. Our old system was flawed before covid and it is just being brought to everyone's attention by the shut down. It's a shame that many towns in this country only have big chain restaurants and stores to shop from because Mom and Pop got run out of business by Walmart or Olive garden.

Well that was him and his wife’s choice. Also the people at the restaurants choice to work. Some don’t live in fear and realize we are all going to be exposed to it eventually if not already.

If your choice is to go out and act recklessly would you sign a waiver saying hospitals dont have to treat you?

Since you're so worried about lawsuits. Should I be able to sue you if you get it at olive garden dining in and give it to me?

I'm not afraid of the virus but I am afraid of people panicking over the economy and forcing things to open to fast. It's time to start thinking about a new economy that is centered around local growth. Our old system was flawed before covid and it is just being brought to everyone's attention by the shut down. It's a shame that many towns in this country only have big chain restaurants and stores to shop from because Mom and Pop got run out of business by Walmart or Olive garden.
Walmart and Amazon’s and Olive Garden those type big businesses will never go away. There is too much red tape and taxes and liabilities for most small mom & pop places to survive.

So @Matthew70 let's say a husband wife team with 1 child got laid off in March. They are now getting unemployment in April to the tune of $600 a week each. That's $4800 cleared for the month along with their $2900 stimulus. That's a big chunk of change. If they cant survive off that for a few more weeks then their already live outside their means.

Walmart and Amazon’s and Olive Garden those type big businesses will never go away. There is too much red tape and taxes and liabilities for most small mom & pop places to survive.
WM and Amazon are also structured much better and have the product mix to draw in consumers versus a mom and pop shop which is going to service a niche demo

I guess I'm a bit confused then, because this thread always seems to devolve into the reopen vs lockdown camps. Each side assumes that one is of the extreme. But it seems that most 'lockdown' folks are fine with opening up gradually (with some...vocal exceptions), and it seems most 'reopen' folks want to reopen but are fine with some restrictions.

So it's like....we both really want the same thing right? It looks like we just disagree on maybe the timing of when to reopen, and maybe on the restrictions? What's the real difference?
In my mind they over reached a bit on what they closed down. My "fear" is that they will treat any inevitable spikes in the same fashion. In my opinion the media has already scared the living hell out of everybody so people will return to their "normalcy" in fear. I fully believe that is completely by design......

If your choice is to go out and act recklessly would you sign a waiver saying hospitals dont have to treat you?

Since you're so worried about lawsuits. Should I be able to sue you if you get it at olive garden dining in and give it to me?
Well I will sign a waiver yes. As for giving it to you. I would not be around you since you have that fear but on the flip side. You work and sale medical supplies. So if you get it and pass it on to those who bought your product. Does it work the same? Sue you? See that is part of this fear has brought forth. Lawsuits. It’s ridiculous.

Well that would depend on if there was only 1 person drawing unemployment. If both parents were then that's 58k a year so not too shabby.
Agree but it’s only for 16-18 weeks I think. Govt. can’t keep those type of unemployment benefits going. I don’t have any idea what they were before this virus.

Unfortunately the people suffering the most right now are the ones that are always struggling. The ones that don't need the money like myself got it quick because we file taxes early and get a direct deposit. The self employed labor worker gets nothing or it takes a long time. I'm making a point to spend every penny I got from Uncle Donald on local products, ideally made by people in my community. Walmart/China gets nothing

Agree but it’s only for 16-18 weeks I think. Govt. can’t keep those type of unemployment benefits going. I don’t have any idea what they were before this virus.
I got unemployment for 18 months in 2008. It was what allowed my to start farming

So @Matthew70 let's say a husband wife team with 1 child got laid off in March. They are now getting unemployment in April to the tune of $600 a week each. That's $4800 cleared for the month along with their $2900 stimulus. That's a big chunk of change. If they cant survive off that for a few more weeks then their already live outside their means.
Agree but remember as we all said yesterday most were spending recklessly before this. In 2 weeks we have 29% completely broke. By end of June we have 160 million broke. That’s half of America. It’s not going to be pretty. We all are going to pay severely for this. Hyperinflation and high taxes and interest rates eventually. I’m not worried about me it’s how those that are broke react.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree but remember as we all said yesterday most were spending recklessly before this. In 2 weeks we have 160 million completely broke. That’s half of America. It’s not going to be pretty. We all are going to pay severely for this. Hyperinflation and high taxes and interest rates eventually. I’m not worried about me it’s how those that are broke react.
Where did this figure come from?

Unfortunately the people suffering the most right now are the ones that are always struggling. The ones that don't need the money like myself got it quick because we file taxes early and get a direct deposit. The self employed labor worker gets nothing or it takes a long time. I'm making a point to spend every penny I got from Uncle Donald on local products, ideally made by people in my community. Walmart/China gets nothing
Especially China which sadly equals walmart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back