• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Political Thread: The Sequel

Broken was talking about the tax increase on the wealthy. You were talking about the unrealized gain tax, which would decimate the economy.
I know he was talking about the cap gains tax but I chose to reply with cerns post. Let him explain how it’s wrong I’d like to hear it.

And libs don’t call me ignorant!… jk

I was talking about tax on realized capital gains.

Maybe I missed where Kamala’s tax plan called for a tax on unrealized gains on homes? (Ignoring the existing exemption on up to $500k in gains for married couples). Maybe you can point that out to me.
She really has said that...taxing unrealized gains. I don't know if all of the particulars have been laid out, but you better hope that doesn't happen.

Broken was talking about the tax increase on the wealthy. You were talking about the unrealized gain tax, which would decimate the economy.
Even ignoring the economic impact. I don’t even know how that would be possible in practice. How is it tracked? If market goes up 50% one year and drops 75% the next year does no one pay taxes in year 2.

This isn’t a real policy that anyone would try and implement.

Even ignoring the economic impact. I don’t even know how that would be possible in practice. How is it tracked? If market goes up 50% one year and drops 75% the next year does no one pay taxes in year 2.

This isn’t a real policy that anyone would try and implement.
Yes it is. When money is on the line, you can bet logistical details will not be an issue.

Plus of course Congress first has to pass any new tax laws. So, you can vote the split of Kamala and Republicans for Congress and we’d all still be safe from any of these Kamala tax increase proposals.
I agree but why vote for someone who wants this. I mean we keep putting these individuals in office eventually you're going to get enough to pass some of these disastrous policies

Since 2009 , those over 70 have saw their share of wealth increase by 10% while the younger folks have seen their share decrease. Since COVID alone their wealth has ballooned by a further 20 trillion. Inequality continues to increase and it continue to get harder for lower classes to advance. This is not a secret. So yes, I do support capital gains taxes on the wealthiest. I don’t think their retirement is threatened lol. We are talking about the generation that had the easiest upbringing ever… get outta here. I’m paying social security taxes I’ll never get to see a return on because of these folks gutting the system. Tax em. @Broken024 brought up a great point though, cut the fat if your going to tax because that is no excuse for more fat… here are the numbers for those who care.

Since 2009 , those over 70 have saw their share of wealth increase by 10% while the younger folks have seen their share decrease. Since COVID alone their wealth has ballooned by a further 20 trillion. Inequality continues to increase and it continue to get harder for lower classes to advance. This is not a secret. So yes, I do support capital gains taxes on the wealthiest. I don’t think their retirement is threatened lol. We are talking about the generation that had the easiest upbringing ever… get outta here. I’m paying social security taxes I’ll never get to see a return on because of these folks gutting the system. Tax em. @Broken024 brought up a great point though, cut the fat if your going to tax because that is no excuse for more fat… here are the numbers for those who care.

Maybe the older people that all the younger people despise and claim hate America really are smart after all, believe in hard work, don't have a victim mindset, and exhibit personal control and responsibility.

Or maybe they just got lucky and we should stick it to 'em!

Maybe the older people that all the younger people despise and claim hate America really are smart after all, believe in hard work, don't have a victim mindset, and exhibit personal control and responsibility.

Or maybe they just got lucky and we should stick it to 'em!
No, that’s a silly statement. They had the same grit we do but combined with easier circumstances. You know a better idea? Improve the circumstances younger people are coming into… this whole “ oh it’s because the older folks worked harder and the young folks are just lazy” is a false trope as old as time . Doesn’t help anybody. As different as today may seem from the past, there are a lot of things that just don’t ever change

No, that’s a silly statement. They had the same grit we do but combined with easier circumstances. You know a better idea? Improve the circumstances younger people are coming into… this whole “ oh it’s because the older folks worked harder and the young folks are just lazy” is a false trope as old as time . Doesn’t help anybody. As different as today may seem from the past, there are a lot of things that just don’t ever change
It's really not. I think what I said is quite accurate. Obviously, it doesn't apply 100%. You, for example, are someone who runs counter to the trend. I would put you up against anyone, in terms of being a hard worker and a learner. But whether you want to believe it or not, hard work, self-discipline, responsibility, patriotism, and mental toughness are not hallmarks of the younger generation.

Hey look, a lot of old people on death's door who won't have to deal with the repercussions of their actions. This surprises me, greatly.

Notice how everyone over the past decade thinks the candidate is the end of the world if they win and cries about their boogeymen on each side and when one comes to win none of their boogeymen come true? We aren't dead from Trump slamming the nuke launch button and we aren't dead from Biden's swiss cheese brain. People are victims of fear and sensationalism because extreme noise mutes out common sense.
It's a slow removal of rights. Obviously they can't do it all at once without resistance from a majority. Think of it like starving something until it's too weak to escape you.
I can’t tell if you guys are ignorant or just ---- posting.

These capital gains tax increases are on people making like $1m income plus investment income over $400k and only applies to income above those levels (last thing I remember seeing). I don’t think these people are going to be murdered by a tax increase.

Oh, so only on the people who create worthwhile jobs. Dang, I guess we are all good since I'm sure the Government will take care of the homeless.

Democrats never miss an opportunity to murder the unborn. Mobile death vans to rip a human being to shreds. Zyklon B next? The Nazi's also had mobile murder vans.

If republicans werent so afraid of the abortion issue they could make this a powerful issue. The sad thing is Ron DeSantis is waging a lone battle in FLA to defeat the abortion up to birth amendment. Rick Scott, Trump, Rubio, Byron Donalds, Gaetz are all too cowardly to join DeSantis.

It's really not. I think what I said is quite accurate. Obviously, it doesn't apply 100%. You, for example, are someone who runs counter to the trend. I would put you up against anyone, in terms of being a hard worker and a learner. But whether you want to believe it or not, hard work, self-discipline, responsibility, patriotism, and mental toughness are not hallmarks of the younger generation.
I'd have to wonder what boomers as kids would be seen as if they had social media back then. I really think a whole lot of this "they want to be lazy youtubers" comes from the mere presence of it. Everyone's under a microscope today unlike even 20 years ago, so a lot of the people who live within their means, work, and are responsible get more intensely studied. It's not laziness that causes people to speak up, it's noticing how the ceiling has gotten lower each decade and it's closer to crushing us. That's why birthrates are dropping and plans for kids are plummeting for younger generations too. You can work like hell but there is not always upward like promised for doing so. People stay in positions further up the ladder, and companies don't give raises like they used to. The labor market is too tight to leave and find better on a whim, and people migrating to the next best paying job is what keeps retail and low level jobs open constantly since those in the actual good paying jobs are staying in longer with retirement getting later.

Of course it can be read as excuses and victimization but that's not what the message is, it's simply stating today's world is different than it was 40 years ago, and it's much harder today than it was in the past, but something can be done about it.

I'd have to wonder what boomers as kids would be seen as if they had social media back then. I really think a whole lot of this "they want to be lazy youtubers" comes from the mere presence of it. Everyone's under a microscope today unlike even 20 years ago, so a lot of the people who live within their means, work, and are responsible get more intensely studied. It's not laziness that causes people to speak up, it's noticing how the ceiling has gotten lower each decade and it's closer to crushing us. That's why birthrates are dropping and plans for kids are plummeting for younger generations too. You can work like hell but there is not always upward like promised for doing so. People stay in positions further up the ladder, and companies don't give raises like they used to. The labor market is too tight to leave and find better on a whim, and people migrating to the next best paying job is what keeps retail and low level jobs open constantly since those in the actual good paying jobs are staying in longer with retirement getting later.

Of course it can be read as excuses and victimization but that's not what the message is, it's simply stating today's world is different than it was 40 years ago, and it's much harder today than it was in the past, but something can be done about it.
Part of the problem is younger generation does not work while they're in school any longer therefore they're not gaining any kind of skills needed for a lot of the job market. They're getting out of school with no other skills than knowing how to study.

You make some good points. Social media does play a role. And sure, in some ways, things are harder than they used to be. But where is the perspective? What is the expectation? Just because things might have been different or easier at a different time doesn't give you an excuse to act any way you want or absolve you from acting in a mature, responsible manner.

My evaluation of young people is derived by watching them conduct themselves on TV, on social media, in person. There is a stark difference in reason, rationality, expectation, and thinking between them and boomers and the greatest generation.

The fact is, everything we have comes so easy and is so convenient. It's clouded our perspective. A huge percentage of people around the world would give e anything to be in your shoes and face the "adversity" that you face (and I'm not saying you in particular). Sure things are hard. But there's still plenty of opportunity out there, if you're willing to do what it takes to grab hold of it.

Back