• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Political Thread: The Sequel

I can’t tell if you guys are ignorant or just ---- posting.

These capital gains tax increases are on people making like $1m income plus investment income over $400k and only applies to income above those levels (last thing I remember seeing). I don’t think these people are going to be murdered by a tax increase.

These capital gains tax increases are on people making like $1m income plus investment income over $400k and only applies to income above those levels (last thing I remember seeing). I don’t think these people are going to be murdered by a tax increase.

Plus of course Congress first has to pass any new tax laws. So, you can vote the split of Kamala and Republicans for Congress and we’d all still be safe from any of these Kamala tax increase proposals.

We probably need to quit depending on China as much. If they quit trading with us right now, we would be in trouble until we could pick up the slack. Covid showed us a little about how things would go when they locked completely down.
Correct most businesses I know in this area have started leaving China or have left. There are a lot of good partners in other countries that are eager to do business, produce a better product than China, and won't outright steal your IP

Plus of course Congress first has to pass any new tax laws. So, you can vote the split of Kamala and Republicans for Congress and we’d all still be safe from any of these Kamala tax increase proposals.
I think the Senate goes to the Republicans, but it will be awfully close. Watch Montana and Ohio for this.

Presuming Kamala wins (which I'd lean to but only slightly, I really do need some more information), the discussions next year are more likely than not to be something like this:

Implementing a CTC in exchange for probably most of TCJA being extended.

I really do not think Tester survives and it's probably fair to have some doubt with Sherrod until we get into October and see if he's still leading polls.

The only thing I do have a decent amount of confidence on is I do think the House is gone for the GOP and it might not matter on who wins the Presidency. Despite tough on illegal immigration and tough on crime clearly being popular, I really do not think right-wing populist types are all "that" popular overall.

You just see bad candidates in places that should be safe for the GOP in the House.

I think the Senate goes to the Republicans, but it will be awfully close. Watch Montana and Ohio for this.
You literally said yesterday that democrats were going to win everything!

I did not know about the one million dollar income plus investment income over $ 400,000 level on this new capital gains tax proposal because that was not included in the data I was looking at. If that's the case, it would not affect the average retiree.

Reality is taxes are going to need to go up and spending will need to slow. If not we will inflate the debt away.

This can be done slowly with increases over years more towards higher income individuals and cutting spending where it can be done.

Republicans solution is cut tax and cut “bloat”.

Democrats are increase tax on high income individuals and increase spending.

Both of them have one side of the equation right. Unfortunately no one can long past the next election cycle to make long term decisions.

You literally said yesterday that democrats were going to win everything!
If some of the things I am seeing come to pass they will. Gov Cooper of NC says this feels like 2008 to him and if he is right the Democrats will win it all.
I'll say this too. If people vote on the emotion Harris has brought to the campaign the Democrats get it all. If they vote without emotion and let the issues decide, the Republicans take the Senate back.

I think you just kind of answered my question about ignorance or ---- posting. That would be an unrealized capital gain and would not be subject to what I was talking about.
I don’t care exactly what you were talking about but you were talking about Kamala’s tax plan and I’m showing you how you’re going to get f____d under Kamala’s tax plan. If Cernovich is wrong about unrealized capital gains please explain to me how he has it wrong.

Reality is taxes are going to need to go up and spending will need to slow. If not we will inflate the debt away.

This can be done slowly with increases over years more towards higher income individuals and cutting spending where it can be done.

Republicans solution is cut tax and cut “bloat”.

Democrats are increase tax on high income individuals and increase spending.

Both of them have one side of the equation right. Unfortunately no one can long past the next election cycle to make long term decisions.
If you expand the economy and cut spending, you wouldn't have to raise taxes. That said, wealthy individuals shouldn't have less of a tax burden, percentage-wise that regular people like us.

I don’t care exactly what you were talking about but you were talking about Kamala’s tax plan and I’m showing you how you’re going to get f____d under Kamala’s tax plan. If Cernovich is wrong about unrealized capital gains please explain to me how he has it wrong.
Broken was talking about the tax increase on the wealthy. You were talking about the unrealized gain tax, which would decimate the economy.

I was talking about tax on realized capital gains.

Maybe I missed where Kamala’s tax plan called for a tax on unrealized gains on homes? (Ignoring the existing exemption on up to $500k in gains for married couples). Maybe you can point that out to me.

Back