• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Ostrich December

Was that the mid teens and sleet winter?

I remember it pouring sleet for a while at one point. It was cold but no way to tell with no smart phones then. That’s when the glacier formed that took weeks to melt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember it pouring sleet for a while at one point. It was cold but no way to tell with no smart phones then. That’s when the glacier formed that took weeks to melt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
95/96 early Jan storm was my favorite all time storm. Sleet fell for 14 hours straight, for a total ~6". That definitely turned to glacier especial after the freezing rain event a week later.

95/96 early Jan storm was my favorite all time storm. Sleet fell for 14 hours straight, for a total ~6". That definitely turned to glacier especial after the freezing rain event a week later.
Growing up in Concord, early to mid January was probably the most fun time to be a winter weather fan in the Charlotte metro area. The first weekend of the month of course was the Blizzard of ‘96 and I had an inch of snow as it started on Saturday afternoon before changing to freezing rain and freezing drizzle early in the evening.... I went to bed fully expecting to lose power during the night and wake up the next morning to everything having a thick layer of ice on it, but when I woke up on Sunday morning it was 19 degrees with heavy sleet and it had piled up to about 3 inches on top of the thin glaze and inch of snow under it. The sleet turned back to snow by late morning and we had another 3 inches that afternoon and evening. School was closed the entire next week and there was another 4 inch snowfall with ice on top the following Thursday night. Temperatures moderated the following weekend but there was still several inches of snow on the ground when we went back to school the following Tuesday and then to top that winter off we had thunder sleet with an ice storm in early February. My parents house kept snow/sleet on the ground in shady areas from early January until mid February.

Good thread title choice. There are a bunch of folks out there with their heads in the sand still believing we'll have a cold December despite no evidence supporting that idea and plenty of evidence going the other way.
Who has said we would have a cold Dec? The only evidence we have so far for this winter is to torch.

Ive lived in south Charlotte from 1995-2001, 2012-2020. Don't think I've ever seen half an inch of snow in December. I've surrendered until January already
I know when I lived in uptown 2 years ago that December storm was about 3 inches but I know there was a strong cut off towards South Charlotte

EPS looks like its hat some sort of system around the first, at least on this run. And some members showing flakes outside the mountains.
1B91B198-A052-4654-9ADB-949AB610104A.jpeg0BBE5A41-D6DB-48EC-9EDC-1AC847C1CFA4.jpeg
0F97069C-5071-4805-9893-6BF9FE0F4D26.jpeg

Last edited:
Anyone remember the December 2004 snow around Christmas ? I remember being so upset that Houston was getting snow and we werent.
I try not to think about that event, I was so bummed because we were so close to seeing a White Christmas. I don't think the snow got any further north than Macon in GA and I remember the FL panhandle got some snow/sleet too. We did get a few snow flurries here and there but that was it.

Back