• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Novemburrr

Slightly* below average temps in the SE US in Nov honestly isn’t “cold” esp against warm biased modern normals

Yeah, I hate those warmer normals. It almost feels like cheating. But the weeklies I see use 1981-2010. 3 F below that in KATL is pretty chilly for a lot of people with lows that could average in the high 30s if it is 3 BN.

Yeah, I hate those warmer normals. It almost feels like cheating. But the weeklies I see use 1981-2010. 3 F below that in KATL is pretty chilly for a lot of people with lows that could average in the high 30s if it is 3 BN.
Slightly below normal temps in November are still well above average for DJF. Hardly consider that unpleasant

Slightly below normal temps in November are still well above average for DJF. Hardly consider that unpleasant
Ehh, slightly below normal in November would be normal February/December weather in many cases. In particular Late February type temp. Still pleasant nonetheless.

That's your opinion. Opinions will vary. 3 BN for November at ATL based on 1981-2010 likely means lots of lows in the 30s, which is unpleasantly cold to many people that I know. But I love it and will walk in it whenever I get the chance.

Last edited:
That's your opinion. Opinions will vary. 3 BN for November at ATL based on 1981-2010 likely means lots of lows in the 30s, which is unpleasantly cold to many people that I know. But I love it and will walk in it whenever I get the chance.
Urban Heat Island will have something to say about that

1. Not on windy nights and not much effect in the burbs.
2. I just checked and ATL-ATH corridor actually averaged slightly cooler in Nov 1991-2020 vs Nov 1981-2010.

1. Not on windy nights and not much effect in the burbs.
2. I just checked and ATL-ATH corridor actually averaged slightly cooler in Nov 1991-2020 vs Nov 1981-2010.

Its usually not windy when the coldest portion of an air mass is overhead, the winds are typically light at its peak underneath the cold core high, which will cut into the overnight lows in the city. There were a few outlier years in the mid 80s whose average lows were well into the 50s, the means at Atlanta haven’t really changed at all for Nov overnight lows. Also worth keeping in mind that the anomaly map Maue tweeted is for mean temperature not overnight lows which have been warmer anomaly wise than daytime maximums. Much more likely to be closer to average or even above slightly

When I saw this, I had to pinch myself to make sure I was really looking at the Bleaklies! The prior run had near to AN for most of the country.

The Nov SE cold is centered in the deep SE with ~-3 F for @pcbjr and ~-2.5 F for much of the SAV-ATL corridor. I'd like to know how long it has been since that area had a month that much BN using 1981-2010.. And those may very well be vs 1981-2010 rather than the much easier to beat 1991-2020..in other words, legit cold! The ones I see are based on 1981-2010 and show similar cold anomalies.
Who can complain (although I'm certain some can)? ...

Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 8.16.07 PM.png

Friggin awesome walkin' weather ...

?‍♂️

I looked at Novembers since 1991 at KATL that were 2-4 F BN (within a degree of where the Euro weeklies have them this Nov) or 50-52 F and counted the lows of 39 or colder:

1991: 17
1992: 13
1996: 13
2000: 13
2002: 12
2008: 14
2013: 11
2018: 13

- So, average 13 days of 39 or colder lows in Novembers that were 2-4 BN since 1991. This compares to only 10 for all Novembers since 1991. So, a decent increase to 43% of all days on average having lows of 39 or lower
- But people don't normally live at the airport. So, when I talk about what people experience in Atlanta, I don't mean at the airport, which is easily the warmest station for average lows. For example Jonesboro, a southern suburb, averaged 17 days at 39 or colder in these same Novembers. Athens, which is pretty comparable to ATL burbs was at 16 days.

Thanks for posting. BAMwx probably wants higher "natgas" prices because some of their clients are likely energy companies. So, BAMwx will naturally hype the cold whenever it shows in the models.. They don't even try to hide it as they hash tag natgas. Bastardi is similar.

Aside: Companies like Maxar don't do this. They don't try to influence the price of natgas or any commodity. They're much more objective in that regard and thus have more credibility. So, when Maxar says it is going to be cold, I take notice.

Last edited:
I don't recall the last Bleaklies to generate this much publicity. It's chilly but it's not like it is MB. And it isn't exactly accurate, especially in later weeks. Watch it be wrong a la Lucy pulling away the football lol though I hope not and really do expect the chill for at least the first half of the month.

I don't recall the last Bleaklies to generate this much publicity. It's chilly but it's not like it is MB. And it isn't exactly accurate, especially in later weeks. Watch it be wrong a la Lucy pulling away the football lol though I hope not and really do expect the chill for at least the first half of the month.
It's pretty tough to get winter weather in November outside of higher elevations. I wished we could hold off on it getting colder until December. November is just a tough month.

Webb you don’t know what it’s felt like (actually I’m sure you may have a few memories of humidity left) but it’s been just bad recently haven’t felt a true fall feeling in a Little this will let us know cold temperatures actually still do exist ?

It's pretty tough to get winter weather in November outside of higher elevations. I wished we could hold off on it getting colder until December. November is just a tough month.

True. 75-80% of the entire years here don't even get a trace of wintry precip. I just want it BN for a change.

By the way, credit to @Rain Cold for the "Bleaklies" reference. I'm not the originator but rather just a proliferator because it is so appropriate.

The pattern some of these models have been putting us in.. the blocking pattern seems to be entering something interesting and anomalous for someone

Back