• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Novemburrr

Here's something interesting. Due to the strong cooling trends on a day to day basis of the model consensus, the "never wrong" ;) Maxar had the coldest forecast change for the US as a whole within a 24 hour period (from yesterday to today) since way back on Feb 5th! So, the strong cooling trends recently on the model consensus have really been a rarity for most of 2021. That's helping it to make it really stand out and get a lot of attention due to the novelty of it.
By the way, there were three days in early Feb that had larger 24 hour forecasted colder changes due to none other than the impending record breaking Arctic outbreak in the south central US. So, no surprise there.

Here's something interesting. Due to the strong cooling trends on a day to day basis of the model consensus, the "never wrong" ;) Maxar had the coldest forecast change for the US as a whole within a 24 hour period (from yesterday to today) since way back on Feb 5th! So, the strong cooling trends recently on the model consensus have really been a rarity for most of 2021. That's helping it to make it really stand out and get a lot of attention due to the novelty of it.
By the way, there were three days in early Feb that had larger 24 hour forecasted colder changes due to none other than the impending record breaking Arctic outbreak in the south central US. So, no surprise there.
Interesting stat… maybe it’s our turn instead of Texas and we get a historic November snowstorm … or it just gets chilly I’ll take both

Interesting the GEFS 12z actually has 2 members with some snowfall.. this obviously doesn’t mean their will be snow but it certainly goes to show there is potential in the upcoming pattern to get some good cold air dislodged even this far south this early in the season

A lot of people living in the SE don't like cold. Us cold wx lovers are in the minority. Most people I know don't like it.
Also I think he is in the natural gas industry or works for those people which means more usage for those power companies cause people will be using them heaters soon

Also I think he is in the natural gas industry or works for those people which means more usage for those power companies cause people will be using them heaters soon

I'd think most in the NG industry would prefer it cold just because colder means more NG usage/higher NG prices and thus higher profits. If the E US unexpectedly has a cold winter, look out! It is already near decadal highs now just in anticipation of the potential for a cold winter because exports are at alltime highs and prices in Europe and Asia are very high due to shortages there. So should it be a cold winter in the SE, look out for muti-hundred dollar gas bills this winter for those not already locked into a low rate and possibly over $500/month in higher usage areas for those same folks.. That's the free market.

Last edited:

When I saw this, I had to pinch myself to make sure I was really looking at the Bleaklies! The prior run had near to AN for most of the country.

The Nov SE cold is centered in the deep SE with ~-3 F for @pcbjr and ~-2.5 F for much of the SAV-ATL corridor. I'd like to know how long it has been since that area had a month that much BN using 1981-2010.. And those may very well be vs 1981-2010 rather than the much easier to beat 1991-2020..in other words, legit cold! The ones I see are based on 1981-2010 and show similar cold anomalies.

Back