• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern November Knock-Out

Hee, Hee, Hee, Gobble, Gobble ... :cool:

sfc_count_sup814_temp.gif

Last edited:
Yummy... Euro weeklies are cold and dry thru the end of the month but I can live w/ that in November and December especially considering how crappy the last several Novembers and Decembers have been in the SE US... Anything beats 80s near Christmas
View attachment 1519

That's what has me more pumped up than anything, finally a Thanksgiving that's not hot.

Goofy sure is toasty for Thanksgiving (Not).

It may not be this cold but it sure looks like we'll finally have a chilly Thanksgiving.

Those GFS maps look really strange with the new heat island factor for Atlanta. Even with that calculated one would assume the city will be colder than what is depicted. The map shows south GA as being colder so that doesn't look right.

Well as noted a week or so ago we would need a dramatic turnaround mid late month to get us below average and it's nice to see for once this is finally coming to fruition. Virtually all NWP busted horribly on their depiction of the SE US ridge in week 2, I think this attributable poorly forecast and sudden poleward surge of -AAM (which initially accompanied the Pacific MJO pulse) that has decelerated the mid latitude westerly jet and has effectively made the background more favorable for blocking by slowing the flow (which due to the thermal wind and hypsometric relations requires a more gently sloped meridional temperature and height gradient that's associated with the negative phase of the AO and NAO). Due to the large size of the quasi stationary anomalous Aleutian high that was excited by a pair of typhoon recurvatures and augmented by the background state, this ridge will have enough planetary vorticity advection to retrograde westward towards eastern Siberia. The downstream alterations in the placement of the planetary waves over North America due to this retrogression should make the pattern more favorable for cyclonic wave breaking over the eastern seaboard (& the thus anticyclonic wave breaking in the far North Atlantic) which will only further aid in establishing blocking over Greenland and northeastern Canada

Webber, do you think this type of blocking could repeat through winter or are you seeing this being more of a Nov/Dec time frame for now?

"Due to the large size of the quasi stationary anomalous Aleutian high that was excited by a pair of typhoon recurvatures and augmented by the background state"

I'm thinking we won't see too many typhoons in January/February so, "transient" and no repeats would be the answer? I hope not, though.

Nina winters are known for abrupt ends to cold weather, but we just gotta hope that the abrupt end at least is after some portion of the most favorable time for winter storms in the southeast. Like, if the abrupt end is after the 2nd week of February we've covered the most favorable ground, which is January-mid February.

I don't think it'll be that long though unfortunately.

Link to a free site posted on amx and its the heat, so try it out. Has everymodel known to man and you can zoom right into your own backyard practically to see 850,500 temps, rh forecasted levels etc.

Weather.Us

whats to come?... sure it be heartache and disappointment ... think I pass ....
You can predict the future? Awesome! Why don't you just enjoy the next couple of cold shots, if it warms up afterwards, oh well! The cold shot coming near Thanksgiving will be colder than anything I had all last winter, so I'd be good with that and call it a winter

I just wish for a minor blessing (not even a miracle) --> that the trees go dormant this winter ... been 3 years and that just isn't right ... :confused:
Agreed! Maybe my summer annuals will die this winter!? They didn't last year!

As giddy as anyone here, but a word of advice - nothing is set in stone and looks will likely change a few times before we get to the Thanksgiving Holiday. Check out the 12Z Euro, for example. Hopefully things swing around and lock in a good manner for all, but just sayin' ... don't count chickens (or turkeys) quite yet ... :eek:
But it's quite OK to gobble a bit right now ... ;)
Respectfully,
The Curmudgeon

Back